• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe's oneday solution....

Im sorry Mr Cranium but i cant agree with you. In a competition involving say, 8 teams in a round robin competition, the bonus point system gives sides a reason to continue to fight when the game is all but lost. There is the incentive because an extra point may be the difference between making the finals or not making them. This was the basis of my support for the idea when it was first put to me several years ago. I helped refine the system and get it off the ground by heavilly promoting the idea to the ICC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, you didn't, and even if you had it'd still be a wholly stupid system, assuming as it does that there is a massive difference between winning by 70 runs and 72, when in fact the difference is infinitessimal.
And all differences are worth keeping check of, as done by NRR.

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
I'll support my colleague in broadcasting on this, although It's really an irrelevant arguement as it's only one day cricket, therefore of little consequence.

Bonus points or NRR, that'll light up the switchboards tomorrow morning on 2ue for you John, while trivial issues like Bono being appointed chairman of the world bank (as called for by the LA Times) remain undebated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ray Hadley said:
I'll support my colleague in broadcasting on this
There's a surprise.
Even though, of course, neither of you are aught but impersonators.

Ray Hadley said:
I'll support my colleague in broadcasting on this, although It's really an irrelevant arguement as it's only one day cricket, therefore of little consequence.

Bonus points or NRR, that'll light up the switchboards tomorrow morning on 2ue for you John, while trivial issues like Bono being appointed chairman of the world bank (as called for by the LA Times) remain undebated.
Yes Ray it will certainly make for good radio. Mind you i think if young Mr Head there tunes in he will be in for a shock. I daresay not one of my loyal listeners will agree with him. Not surprising though really. Know what i mean?

Ray Hadley

Cricket Spectator
John Laws CBE said:
Yes Ray it will certainly make for good radio. Mind you i think if young Mr Head there tunes in he will be in for a shock. I daresay not one of my loyal listeners will agree with him. Not surprising though really. Know what i mean?
Yes I know where you're coming from John. Listeners like a well argued case that is supported by facts, which I'm sure you'll not get from the aforementioned Mr Head.

Last edited:
Thats correct Ray. It is best to put forward arguments supported by facts as you say, not by the use of emotion as seems to be the only way Richard can argue. Myself, well i do broadcast from 2UE - The Fortress Of Ireverent Logic.

Belford

Banned
Children's game

One day cricket is a children's game, put on purely for the sake of intellectual featherweights whose attention span can't stand up to a longer contest, and whose grey matter can't wrap itself around the nuances of serious cricket. The people who love one day cricket are the same ones that throw a hissy fit if the girl at McDonalds tells them there will be a one minute wait on their gourmet experience.

That said, the introduction of a bonus points system is a definite plus. Anything that will add an extra thinking dimension to this intelligence-free zone has to be a welcome addition.

Agree totally with your sentiments Belford. As i said earlier, i was very much involved in the idea of the bonus point system and my radio status and general influence over society was paramount in getting the idea off the ground and into force. Without this brilliant idea, one day cricket was almost certainly doomed to the same lowly position in the ratings as women's croquet and sheep trials.

Last edited:

Belford

Banned
Glad

Well I'm glad you could help to get the idea up, John, because I can tell you that one-day cricket is a dying game.

Now that the lumpenproletariat has gotten over the the thrill of seeing normally white-clad cricketers in coloured clothing, one-day cricket is starting to assume its proper place in the cricket world, i.e. nowheresville.

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
all these suggestions are just the latest gimmicks to try and get a game working that cannot really work as cricket is so clearly designed to be a game where you have to bowl the batsmen out.

changes could be

-No limits to the overs in an innings.
-Over rate should be increased considerably to 22-25
-Teams switch after 40 overs (team A bats 40, then B 40, then A until out or decl)
it gives the bowlers a rest from the fast rate, eliminates the need for a long break
- more substitutions allowed for fielders but possibly even bowlers with relief bowlers coming in (for a few overs only to avoid this altering the original line-up)
-7-8 hours in a day´s play as currently but with this meaning some 180-200 overs.
- over all perhaps 250 overs available. the rest to be played on day 2 but most matches would find a winner on day 1. (there would certainly be fewer games going to day 2 than there are total blow-outs in current odi´s.
- in the long run perhaps try to find a way to always decide it in one day.

It could be fantastic for cricket if it became possible to invent a one-day game with the qualities of real cricket

swede

School Boy/Girl Captain
all these suggestions are just the latest gimmicks to try and get a game working that cannot really work as cricket is so clearly designed to be a game where you have to bowl the batsmen out.

changes could be

-No limits to the overs in an innings.
-Over rate should be increased considerably to 22-25
-Teams switch after 40 overs (team A bats 40, then B 40, then A until out or decl)
it gives the bowlers a rest from the fast rate, eliminates the need for a long break
- more substitutions allowed for fielders but possibly even bowlers with relief bowlers coming in (for a few overs only to avoid this altering the original line-up)
-7-8 hours in a day´s play as currently but with this meaning some 180-200 overs.
- over all perhaps 250 overs available. the rest to be played on day 2 but most matches would find a winner on day 1. (there would certainly be fewer games going to day 2 than there are total blow-outs in current odi´s.
- in the long run perhaps try to find a way to always decide it in one day.

It could be fantastic for cricket if it became possible to invent a one-day game with the qualities of real cricket