• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe's idea

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think people forget how bad it got from time to time in the 80s, and why the whole neutral umpire thing was introduced in the first place?
I think people tend to remember the Shakoor Rana thing as a one off, but it was a worldwide problem. The English umpires were generally better than most, but I can remember issues in every country who was playing test cricket at the time.

Craig

World Traveller
I definatly didn't see cricket in the 80's, don't remember much of the 90's, nor did I understand cricket that well at that stage, how does the umpiring now, compare to then, even in the early part of this decade when we had one home umpire per Test? I'm sure that is what Crowe wants, and it only being the best umpires, so Taufel to umpire in Australia, but not somebody like Bruce Oxenford or even Daryl Harper.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Umpiring mistakes are most of the time, genuine human errors while at other times, they is possibly an element of patriotism involved. Two test matches, both involving Pakistan (sorry :laugh:) come to mind, Pakistan vs Australia at Hobart in 99 and Pakistan vs West Indies in Antigua in 2000. The "errors" were so blatent and in your face, that you cant even give the umpire the benefit of doubt. Having been the unfortunate spectator in both those two matches, I have become strongly opposed to home umpires. I am sure most umpires are honest enough to not let patriotism cloud their judgment, but at this level, things should be so transparent that no one can raise an issue other than that of human error. So, no I dont support Martin Crowe on this, no home umpires! I hope we dont revert to home umpires with the new referral system now. Referral is here to correct human errors, why go back and create more chances "mistakes"

There is an easy answer to that. If players are making appeals to decisions that are clearly out (like Sammy in Adelaide this morning) and are just wasting time, then fine the player 15% of his match fee. That will stop them pretty quickly.
and how are you going to decide that? I mean everyone is going to argue that they genuinely believe it was clearly not out or vice versa.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I definatly didn't see cricket in the 80's, don't remember much of the 90's, nor did I understand cricket that well at that stage, how does the umpiring now, compare to then, even in the early part of this decade when we had one home umpire per Test? I'm sure that is what Crowe wants, and it only being the best umpires, so Taufel to umpire in Australia, but not somebody like Bruce Oxenford or even Daryl Harper.
Taufel can umpire any other nation besides Australia. That's pretty good, who cares about just Australia? If the best umpire is English, then the Australians will get his services from time to time.

He won't be the best umpire anymore, in the eyes of many fans, if he does umpire Australia and a few decisions go in favor of Australia and against their team. That'd be unfair to cricket, and to Taufel as well.

jeevan

International 12th Man
If travel fatigue is a problem among umpires, then find other ways of umpiring ODIs.
Using highly trained circus animals at the non-home umpire end or audience voting come to mind as two possibilities that might make that format more entertaining and solve a bigger problem that ODIs seem to now have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, how many times is someone going to say "now we've got <insert new thing> we can bring back home Umpires!"?

FFS, get over it commenters-of-renown.