• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe vs Clive Lloyd (ODIs)

Who was the better ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really tough one. Lloyd had that amazing knock in 75 and skippered the first great ODI side. But Crowe in 92 was next level batting and captaining as well.

If I went just on batting I would probably take Crowe. But factoring in a young Lloyd as a more than handy medium pacer and one of the great cover fielders, as a total package I would take Clive, but only just.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lloyd was underrated for being part of a great batting lineup. Crowe (as much as I like him) was slightly overrated for being part of a weak batting lineup.

aussie tragic

International Captain
^What he said.

It's funny, I always considered Lloyd a good batsman, but Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Kallicharan, Rowe were always the ones to watch. Not right of course, but that was always the perception at the time.

Martin Crowe was a great batsman though, ranked up there with Greg Chappell for class (I think being a good batsman in a weak team is harder than a good bowler in one)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Lloyd probably had a higher peak but Crowe was more consistent. Who knows what would've happened if they had played for the others team, Lloyd may have been more consistently great, or Crowe may have shown even more flair and reached a higher peak.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Really tough one. Lloyd had that amazing knock in 75 and skippered the first great ODI side. But Crowe in 92 was next level batting and captaining as well.

If I went just on batting I would probably take Crowe. But factoring in a young Lloyd as a more than handy medium pacer and one of the great cover fielders, as a total package I would take Clive, but only just.
Lloyd was a reasonable non-entity as an international bowler, really? 10 Test wickets at 62 and 8 ODI wickets. Crowe was a more than handy medium pacer and has more Test and ODI wickets than Lloyd. He was a demon apparently as a teenager but his body didn't allow him to continue at much more than gentle pace. I don't remember a lot of Crowe's fielding to be fair. He was a captain with incredible nous, although Lloyd never had to be as he had an all-star line up to work with.

On complete bias, but I think with reason, I'll take Crowe. He was a superstar. He was different, people didn't get him but he was just 2-3 steps ahead of most people in terms of his vision of how the game should be played. T20 arose not completely from Cricket Max, so he's not a pioneer per se, but he certainly shaped the landscape to what it is today.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Lloyd was a reasonable non-entity as an international bowler, really? 10 Test wickets at 62 and 8 ODI wickets. Crowe was a more than handy medium pacer and has more Test and ODI wickets than Lloyd. He was a demon apparently as a teenager but his body didn't allow him to continue at much more than gentle pace. I don't remember a lot of Crowe's fielding to be fair. He was a captain with incredible nous, although Lloyd never had to be as he had an all-star line up to work with.

On complete bias, but I think with reason, I'll take Crowe. He was a superstar. He was different, people didn't get him but he was just 2-3 steps ahead of most people in terms of his vision of how the game should be played. T20 arose not completely from Cricket Max, so he's not a pioneer per se, but he certainly shaped the landscape to what it is today.
Crowe was a brilliant fielder, took some brilliant catches in the covers in his time.