• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martial Art choice

andmark

International Captain
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the UFC thread, but I thought it would be a bit off-topic.

I am interested in starting to do a martial art, however I'm not sure which one to do. I'm 16 with a fairly average frame (6ft, 78 kg). I want to gain good self defense ability whilst being able to both striking and grappling. The first martial art which comes to mind on that basis is Krav Maga but I'm not sure if there's another which is better on the above basis. Any advice is appreciated.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do something that incorporates some ground and pound work as well as throwing, kicking and punching.

Ground work is the hardest I find, punishing stuff and great for your strength and fitness.

andmark

International Captain
Tae Kwon Do is fun and common
Taekwondo is indeed fun but I think I'll Pass on it. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Do something that incorporates some ground and pound work as well as throwing, kicking and punching.

Ground work is the hardest I find, punishing stuff and great for your strength and fitness.
Yeah, that's a fair comment. On that basis I think Krav Maga is probably the best for it. Thanks :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Aikido comes to mind - it is quite heavy on grappling yet has some striking.Steven Segal does Aikido.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've done some hapkido - pretty interesting and also contains elements of a number of martial art forms

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Aikido comes to mind - it is quite heavy on grappling yet has some striking.Steven Segal does Aikido.
Aikido is awesome! Using your opponents energy against them.

Great fun as well. If you go watch a class you might be able to go into the middle, and they'll teach you the basics, and you'll be throwing the masters all over the place.

Jager

International Debutant
I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - no striking, but if you want a sound ground game, BJJ is the way to go. Great strength builder, works cardio extremely well too. If you wanted a more offensive grappling game that incorporates more standup work, Judo is also a great option