• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marshall vs Steyn (ODIs)

Better ODI Bowler?

• Malcolm Marshall

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Dale Steyn

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For all Steyn's undisputed quality, he could go a bit wrong in ODIs from time to time. Take the 2015 WC semi final for example, a lot is made of selecting an undercooked Philander over the fit and firing Kyle Abbott, but Steyn having a real off day was probably a greater contributing factor to their loss. Personally if anything I would rate Morne Morkel equal or almost slightly ahead as a 50 over bowler
Agreed, of course the comparison pointers change if he comes up with a great tournament winning garland of performances in 2019 WC. Marshall is definitely better so far IMO, but it is an unfair/incomplete comparison before Steyn's career finishes.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
What is the cut off for great economy rates in this decade? Likes of McGrath and Pollock retired only a decade ago and until then 4.0 was my mental cutoff.
< 4.5 - great
4.5-5.0 - good
5.0-5.5 - decent to average
5.5-6.0 - poor
>6.0 - atrocious

h_hurricane

Between Marshall and Steyn, it is even stevens in ODI cricket. Both of them were clearly a level below the very best ODI bowlers of their time. This does not tarnish their image one bit as both are ATGs with Marshall possibly GOAT. If Steyn could some how win WC 2019, he would race ahead. I do not see it happening though. His best chance was 2015.

h_hurricane

Probably because he's a hack.

Cannot wait for him to get exposed.
Not a hack at all. Over 2 wickets per match and an average of around 20. Absolutely ruled SA batsmen in SA and did well in England. Has a hat-trick against Aus. Has enormous potential but still a work in progress. If he is not quality, I am not sure who is.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bumrah and Rashid could end up as two of the best ODI bowlers of all time if they could do this for a decade. Rashid's average is unreal, but I guess there is some minnow bashing there.
I'm totally backing Rashid to become at least the 2nd best ODI spinner of all time.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I think Rashid is the real deal, not a minnow bashing fraud at all. Definite potential to join the ATGs, I just hope he gets to play a lot of cricket against everyone.