• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh catching appreciation thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was just looking up Mark Waugh as a draft option. I knew he was a gun in the slips and remember him taking a ton of catches, but the amount of catches he took is mind boggling. He took more catches than many wicket keepers and at a better rate than some of them.

Anyway, here is a great video from OS.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuinely brilliant all round fielder. Completely freakish

I was at the scg one day and he was at silly point to Warne. As the ball was bowled his floppy hat flew off. Batsman plays the ball on the bounce to Waugh’s righthand and he catches it as he plucks his hat out of the air with his left. Hardly something to make a highlights reel but it was just a ridiculous piece of multi-faceted coordination

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
MWaugh...my favourite cricketer of all time. Loved everything about him

TheJediBrah

He took more catches than many wicket keepers and at a better rate than some of them.
He was possibly the best slipper ever but I don't think either of these statements are really true. I challenge you to find a wicket keeper that took less catches than him over a similar number of matches, or one with a lower rate that had played any decent number of games.

happy to be proven wrong though

aussie tragic

International Captain
^ yep. Waugh took 181 catches in 128 matches so 1.41 per match.

The closest may be Bert Oldfield in 1920/30's who took only 78 catches in 54 Tests (1.44 pm) but that can't even be compared as he took an incredible 52 stumpings (so 130 dismissals at 2.41 pm)

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moin Khan, Oldfield, Kaluwitharina, Mongia and Ames all took less wickets at a lower wpm and played a decent number of tests.

In fact, if he took all those catches as keeper, Mark Waugh would be behind only 22 keepers in history in number of dismissals.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Moin Khan, Oldfield, Kaluwitharina, Mongia and Ames all took less wickets at a lower wpm and played a decent number of tests.

In fact, if he took all those catches as keeper, Mark Waugh would be behind only 22 keepers in history in number of dismissals.
You need a new calculator maybe as all those wk's had a higher cpm than Waugh. And of course Waughs total is higher, he played a massive 128 Tests (e.g Bob Taylor took 14 less catches in 71 less tests, what's the relevance?)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

where the **** are you getting your numbers from?

Mark Waugh = 1.41 catches per game

Moin Khan = 1.86
Oldfield = 1.44
Kaluwitharana = 1.90
Mongia = 2.25
Ames = 1.57

edit:
Ah yeah my bad. I was misreading the stats. I read dismissals per innings as per match.
that makes sense

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
^ yep. Waugh took 181 catches in 128 matches so 1.41 per match.

The closest may be Bert Oldfield in 1920/30's who took only 78 catches in 54 Tests (1.44 pm) but that can't even be compared as he took an incredible 52 stumpings (so 130 dismissals at 2.41 pm)
Stephen Fleming is the best I've seen - absolute bucket hands in the slips.

Highest ratios:
Mark Waugh 0.738 catches per innings.
Greg Chappell 0.739 catches per innings.
Graeme Smith 0.751 catches per innings
Mahela Jayawardene 0.759 catches per innings
Mark Taylor 0.759 catches per innings.
Ross Taylor 0.771 catches per inninhs
Stephen Fleming 0.859 catches per innings
Bob Simpson 0.940 catches per innings

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Haha I used to download youtube cricket videos (mainly robelinda but many others as wll) and shoddily stitch together compilations of aravinda/lara/dravid/wasim who were some of my dad's favourite cricketers. He wasnt very good at youtube so Id make those and send them to him over whatsapp/email. I uploaded them for the lulz much later.