• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marcus Trescothick to retire from professional cricket

Bijed

International Regular
BBC article

Ok, possibly not completely worthy of it's own thread but feels like the end of an era for me. He was the first England player I remember seeing, so he's always been part of cricket for me, and as a Somerset fan I've always rooted for him. Immensely likeable player (shocking first-chance average obvs) and has done so much good for the sport and the players with his book and opening up about his depression - truly one of the the good guys of the game.

It's not really suprising that he's going (I'm amazed he's hung around quite as long as he has) since he's pretty clearly not able to score many runs any more, but that's fair enough at 43 and I'll still miss him.

Cheers Tres

andmark

International Captain
Yeah, he was one of the most likable people in cricket for me. I hope he has a nice retirement.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wow I thought this guy retired like 15 years ago. He was a very handy ODI bat in the early 00s

Burgey

His leaving the 06/07 Ashes tour was a portent of what was to come that summer, and it was enormously sad that his depression cut short his international career. Very good LO player in his time and played no small role in the 2005 Ashes win. Seems a very likable fella and one of the good guys Hope he has a happy retirement.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cracking player. His struggles are fairly harrowing if you read his book but probably played an important part in mental illness being handled more sympathetically in cricket and professional sport on the whole.

Would have been interesting had he stayed on the scene given the emergence of Cook. Suspect Andrew Strauss may have wound up a fair few caps shorter.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well it better bloody well be our year, then.

My theory is that 2010 and, to a lesser extent, 2016 are what has kept him going the past couple of years. Would be no better way than to send him off with that elusive win.

****ing heroic cricketer and comes across as a genuinely good bloke. I hope he enjoys his retirement - he deserves it after, what, 27 years of service to cricket.

Stapel

International Regular
played no small role in the 2005 Ashes win.
If it weren't for KP's masterclass at the Oval (oh well, dropped a few times), he would have been the leading run scorer for that series. Much of the focus lies on 50s & 100s (no 100s, just three 50s for MT in that series), which is not per se wrong. Yet, I think, especially given the record England had vs Aus, England's fairly consistent openers made a much bigger impact than most people give credit for. Both wins started with 100+ opening stands.

morgieb

Was probably coming, is still a loss though. Hopefully it'll push Somerset on for that elusive title. I can think of no cricketer still active more deserving.

morgieb

Cracking player. His struggles are fairly harrowing if you read his book but probably played an important part in mental illness being handled more sympathetically in cricket and professional sport on the whole.

Would have been interesting had he stayed on the scene given the emergence of Cook. Suspect Andrew Strauss may have wound up a fair few caps shorter.
Yeah I think Strauss would've struggled to come back (and probably would never had been full-time captain) had Trescothick not had his problems. Very interesting what-if.

The condition sounded really nasty. But yeah, it does seem that a lot more players are willing to come forward about their struggles since Tres. A huge credit to him.

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
Farewell to a legend, great county career, and a case of what could have been with his England career, farewell Tres!

flibbertyjibber

Top player, was a better one day player than test player and such a shame his international career was cut short in his prime. God knows what record he would have had if he had been able to play another 4/5 years in an England shirt.