• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

    If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MacGill - "Might outlast next spin generation"

Josh

International Regular
www.cricket.com.au

Stuart MacGill has revealed his ambitious plan to take Shane Warne's place in the Australian side when the leg-spinning legend retires.

MacGill, fresh from grabbing man of the match honours with eight wickets against Pakistan in the third Test at the SCG, told The Australian that he wants to maintain his fitness and enthusiasm so he can still play when Warne decides it's time to quit.

"Who says the young generation of spin bowlers is going to make it?" MacGill said. "I honestly believe now I've proven to myself and I've proven to people who count that I can do it, I might outlast them all, and that's my major goal."

"I want to show that not only can I do it right now, but I'm going to be able to do it for an extended period of time, long after Shane's gone."

MacGill is 34 in February, meaning he would need to be playing at his best into his late thirties to earn regular Australian selection when Warne finally calls it a day. But he is adamant it is a task he is up to.

"I've got plenty of time in me," MacGill said. "I want to be the next spinner after Shane Warne's gone and I don't know when that's going to be. It might be sooner rather than later. That's the No.1 thing for me now."

"I'm not panicking about there not being any spinners behind me because I'm not going anywhere."

MacGill is unlikely to be selected for the upcoming Test series in New Zealand despite his SCG heroics. But he is not ruling himself out as he expects the Kiwis may serve up spin-friendly tracks.

"New Zealand are very good at coming up with wickets that suit them according to the opposition they're playing," MacGill said.

"The biggest seaming wickets they've had recently were against India. Their strength at the moment is Daniel Vettori with the ball, so maybe it might play into my hands a little bit."
--------------------------------------------------
I'm really sick of his arrogance.
 

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
although i think the spin bowlers playing first class in australia are nowhere near the quality of warne or macgill, this arrogance (well, that is how it comes across to me) is why i just can't stand him. everytime he is close to being selected, he just makes some outlandish statements that he really shouldn't.
 

Josh

International Regular
Crazy Sam said:
although i think the spin bowlers playing first class in australia are nowhere near the quality of warne or macgill, this arrogance (well, that is how it comes across to me) is why i just can't stand him. everytime he is close to being selected, he just makes some outlandish statements that he really shouldn't.
I wholeheartedly agree...

Last time it was him saying that he's better than Warne wasn't it?? Let's predict his next whacky statement... 8-)
 

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I REALLY HATE MACGILL. :@

But yeah we had him for our end of year cricket dinner and he just blabbed on about how much he trained and how it paid off for him. I doubt he will take over from warne as he puts it. he will be to old and out of contention.

Wow you did well in one test match, want bannanas?
 

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
look, i've got no idea how long warne and macgill will keep going for. It won't surprise me if Macgill plays for a year or *maybe* two longer than Warne, and probably will play tests when Warne goes, but will he really going to be any good then, especially for the future?? It's hard because the spinners in the first class comps this season have just been so unspectacular. I can't name a single pura cup/ing cup 'young' spinner i've been impressed with.
 

Josh

International Regular
Crazy Sam said:
look, i've got no idea how long warne and macgill will keep going for. It won't surprise me if Macgill plays for a year or *maybe* two longer than Warne, and probably will play tests when Warne goes, but will he really going to be any good then, especially for the future?? It's hard because the spinners in the first class comps this season have just been so unspectacular. I can't name a single pura cup/ing cup 'young' spinner i've been impressed with.
Didn't like White's ODI performance against Queensland?? ;)
 

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
white is rubbish except when he plays the bulls, just like qld reds are rubbish in the super 12 except when they play new south wales.
 

Beleg

International Regular
MacGill has to be one of the luckiest bowlers to be plying the game at the moment. I am honestly amazed by the number of wickets he is able to get through bad balls.
 

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
my god there has been alot of tripe thrown around in this thread, macgill has never said that he was better than warne, quite the OPOOSITE!... macgill done well in one test match?? haha gets your facts straight buddy... macgill has the greatest moral fibre out of the whole australian team..... if you heard him often outside of cricket you will change your whole view of him, a great leg spinner is what he is
 

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Beleg said:
MacGill has to be one of the luckiest bowlers to be plying the game at the moment. I am honestly amazed by the number of wickets he is able to get through bad balls.
I agree!!
Everytime i see macgill getting a wicket its from a horrible ball way outside off stump or a full toss down the side, or something terribly short pitched.
 

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Josh said:
Didn't like White's ODI performance against Queensland?? ;)
Lucky catch & some stupid shots after going for 9 an over in his first 4 wasn't all that convincing performance.
 

thierry henry

International Captain
I know a lot of people who don't rate MacGill. Personally I think his record is good for a spinner, and he probably should've played a few more tests (although not a LOT more). He certainly turns the ball a long way, more than just about anyone I can think of. He is intelligent and honest and I like that, I certainly don't think he has said anything wrong. He is clearly #2 in Australia, I agree with him.
 

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
he is maybe number 2 in australia at the moment yes we'll give him that, but by the time warne packs it in it is perhaps unlikely that this will still be the case.
 

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
my god there has been alot of tripe thrown around in this thread, macgill has never said that he was better than warne, quite the OPOOSITE!... macgill done well in one test match?? haha gets your facts straight buddy... macgill has the greatest moral fibre out of the whole australian team..... if you heard him often outside of cricket you will change your whole view of him, a great leg spinner is what he is
You might want to ask a few of the umpires in English minor leagues that MacGill has played in before suggesting he has great moral fibre...
 

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
you guys are all a bunch of tossers. McGill has proven time and time again that he is Warne's equal. Only that Warne was in the right place at the right time, and McGill's a bit've an outsider in the team. McGill unlike the others would rather drink chardonnay and drink red wine, whilst the others get ****ed on beer and watch porn. McGill is the only person in the team with a University degree... a law one at that. HE is a really intelligent guy and that places him on the outer of the team....

For those of you saying he gets wickets with bad balls is clutching at straws. The only reason u say this is because statistics wise he's a top class bowler and u have to make up crap like that to make him sound otherwise. He bowls a lot of good balls that go unrewarded that play a huge role in him getting his wickets with the bad balls.

No one at the moment in the current crop will come close to him when Warne retires and it'd be great to see him continue at that time if he feels right.

I know McGill on a personal level so I'd suggest none of you make comments about his morality...
 

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Wasn't Macgill the only one that had the backbone to refuse to go to Zimbabwe as a protest to whats going over there, sacrificing pay and opportunity to get back in the side? thats what i'd call moral fibre
 

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
parttimer said:
Wasn't Macgill the only one that had the backbone to refuse to go to Zimbabwe as a protest to whats going over there, sacrificing pay and opportunity to get back in the side? thats what i'd call moral fibre
I wouldn't call getting banned by a minor league as 'moral fibre'.
 

Top