• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lucky Gilly

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
If a batsman sets out to miscue his shots delibrately (using his brain, as you put it), I'm sorry, I cannot name a single one.

Once again read what I wrote.

I said IF he miscues, I did not say he deliberately miscues.

All batsmen have to take risks to score runs and you need to use your brain to anaylise those risks.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Once again read what I wrote.

I said IF he miscues, I did not say he deliberately miscues.

All batsmen have to take risks to score runs and you need to use your brain to anaylise those risks.

Yes. And you somehow seem to think that Gilchrist is a better batsmen just because he would tend to be dropped more often off those miscued shots compared to say Sehwag against Australia. The bottomline is you might take risks. But a batsman can have no control over the miscues, and it cannot be suggested that a batsman is using his brains when the miscues cocur.

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
Yes. And you somehow seem to think that Gilchrist is a better batsmen just because he would tend to be dropped more often off those miscued shots compared to say Sehwag against Australia. The bottomline is you might take risks. But a batsman can have no control over the miscues, and it cannot be suggested that a batsman is using his brains when the miscues cocur.
Well your not using your brain, I have not suggested Gilchrist is a better batsman than Sehwag or any other player , I have just suggested that Gilly gets dropped more than other players because Australia dont drop as many catches.

If Gilly plays that to his advantage then he is using his brain, if another player takes the same risks and it dosent work as well as it did for Gilly then you do the maths.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Well your not using your brain, I have not suggested Gilchrist is a better batsman than Sehwag or any other player , I have just suggested that Gilly gets dropped more than other players because Australia dont drop as many catches.

If Gilly plays that to his advantage then he is using his brain, if another player takes the same risks and it dosent work as well as it did for Gilly then you do the maths.

If that is indeed the case, doesnt that make him lucky that he doesnt have to face the Aussie fielding ?

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
If that is indeed the case, doesnt that make him lucky that he doesnt have to face the Aussie fielding ?
The difference is he had no input into making sure he didnt have to face the Aussie fielding that was just how it is.

But by taking on the fielders from other countries with his swashbuckling batting he has made his own luck. He could have played it safe and not gone for his shots but he does.

So therefore Gilly makes his own luck.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
The difference is he had no input into making sure he didnt have to face the Aussie fielding that was just how it is.

But by taking on the fielders from other countries with his swashbuckling batting he has made his own luck. He could have played it safe and not gone for his shots but he does.

So therefore Gilly makes his own luck.
Fair enough. So again, we come round to :

Deja moo said:
As long as you dont suggest that that makes him a better batsman than a player who does get caught giving comparable chances.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
As long as you dont suggest another batsman is better than Gilly because Gilly may get dropped more often.

Irrelevant. I havent made any move in that direction. yet.