• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lucky Gilly

Blaze

Banned
He isn't lucky all the time. I remember against SA in the V.B series a couple of years ago when nothing was going right for Aus and he played a defensive shot and the ball got caught up in his pads then hit the back of his bat and then onto the stumps.

So he does have his fair share of bad luck too

Scallywag

Banned
Maybe its just good cricket by the Australian players if they dont drop as many catches as the other teams.

Call it luck if you wish but it also could be that one team make their own luck by working harder on their fielding so they dont drop as many catches.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Maybe its just good cricket by the Australian players if they dont drop as many catches as the other teams.

Call it luck if you wish but it also could be that one team make their own luck by working harder on their fielding so they dont drop as many catches.
So assuming that Gilly gives more chances than most, the fact that the other ten players in his team catch out opposing team batsmen with more regularity than other teams players catch him out, is supposed to justify that Gilly deserves his 'luck' more than say, Sehwag ?

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
So assuming that Gilly gives more chances than most, the fact that the other ten players in his team catch out opposing team batsmen with more regularity than other teams players catch him out, is supposed to justify that Gilly deserves his 'luck' more than say, Sehwag ?
Of course it does, you make your own luck, no good complaining about the other team taking more catches than yours when the fault lies with the team dropping the catches. What do you expect Australia to deliberately drop catches so opposition batsmen have the same amout of luck (or should that be fielding errors).

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Of course it does, you make your own luck, no good complaining about the other team taking more catches than yours when the fault lies with the team dropping the catches. What do you expect Australia to deliberately drop catches so opposition batsmen have the same amout of luck (or should that be fielding errors).
How is your teammates fielding brilliance "your own luck "???

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
How is your teammates fielding brilliance "your own luck "???
Well its not bad luck if the opposition team keep dropping catches off your batting and its not bad luck if you own team mates dont drop as many catches.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Well its not bad luck if the opposition team keep dropping catches off your batting and its not bad luck if you own team mates dont drop as many catches.

How are you calling that "making your own luck " ?

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
How are you calling that "making your own luck " ?

Well if you go for your shots knowing the other team may just drop you and it comes off then you are making your own luck.

When I say it comes off I mean both ways, you hit the boundry or the catch is spilled.

If you just block the ball without going for the shots then you are not making your own luck.

Make sense.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Well if you go for your shots knowing the other team may just drop you and it comes off then you are making your own luck.

When I say it comes off I mean both ways, you hit the boundry or the catch is spilled.

If you just block the ball without going for the shots then you are not making your own luck.

Make sense.

No. You suggested that Gilly deserved his 'luck' because Australia was a good fielding side while other teams are not. How can a batsman deserve his 'luck' just because he doesnt have the Australian team fielding against him ? You seem to suggest that Gilly deserves it because Australia are a good fielding side :

Scallywag said:

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
No. You suggested that Gilly deserved his 'luck' because Australia was a good fielding side while other teams are not. How can a batsman deserve his 'luck' just because he doesnt have the Australian team fielding against him ? You seem to suggest that Gilly deserves it because Australia are a good fielding side :
Read what I said again.

**Maybe its just good cricket by the Australian players if they dont drop as many catches as the other teams.
Call it luck if you wish but it also could be that one team make their own luck by working harder on their fielding so they dont drop as many catches.**

I cant see where I suggested Gilly deserved his luck, I just stated why he may have more catches dropped against him than other players. And that makes pretty good sense to me.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Read what I said again.

**Maybe its just good cricket by the Australian players if they dont drop as many catches as the other teams.
Call it luck if you wish but it also could be that one team make their own luck by working harder on their fielding so they dont drop as many catches.**

I cant see where I suggested Gilly deserved his luck, I just stated why he may have more catches dropped against him than other players. And that makes pretty good sense to me.
As long as you dont suggest that that makes him a better batsman than a player who does get caught giving comparable chances.

Scallywag

Banned
Deja moo said:
As long as you dont suggest that that makes him a better batsman than a player who does get caught giving comparable chances.
Who do you think would be the better batsman:

The one who hits it in the air knowing it may be dropped if miscued or the batsman hitting it in the air knowing it will be caught if miscued.

Batting is using your brain as well as using you bat.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:

The one who hits it in the air knowing it may be dropped if miscued or the batsman hitting it in the air knowing it will be caught if miscued.

If the batsman is miscueing it, hes a bad batsman . full stop. Since when did miscueing batsmen become good ones ?

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Name one batsman who never miscues the ball.

If a batsman sets out to miscue his shots delibrately (using his brain, as you put it), I'm sorry, I cannot name a single one.