• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lower Back Pain

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew Leipus on the back problems that fast bowlers suffer | Cricket Features | Fitness Zone | ESPN Cricinfo

This article perfectly describes the pain I've had for the past 15 months. Dull ache in the lower right side of my back. Are there any cricket physios on CW who can help with how to rehab this as such an article has not been written? I have seen many non-cricket physios and done their exercises (static stretches for the side, the legs and the back) and this has not relieved the pain. I have an MRI booked for 11th June and hopefully that'll show something.

Thanks.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hello mate,

My friend is a physio and he gave me a series of stretches for lower back pain that seemed to fix up the problem, although it looks like you've already gone down that route to no avail. His theory was that a lot of lower back pain is caused by the hamstrings and glutes getting tight and thus putting pressure on the lower back.

I hope you get some joy from the MRI and sort out what's happening.

9for52

Cricket Spectator
Hey.

You should try more advanced stretching. Neuro-muscular stretching with the help of a stretching partner.

Also strengthening your core all around to reduce the risk of long term injury. By the sounds you need some rest and to undergo some solid strength and conditioning training to get your body fully prepared to bowl at top speed again.

Also start taking not of workloads and how much you can bowl before the pain comes on. How painful are you talking?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Also strengthening your core all around to reduce the risk of long term injury. By the sounds you need some rest and to undergo some solid strength and conditioning training to get your body fully prepared to bowl at top speed again.

Also start taking not of workloads and how much you can bowl before the pain comes on. How painful are you talking?
It is a dull ache that is with me all the time. Sometimes it is high in the right side of my back, sometimes it is in the glute and rarely, it is in the groin. I much prefer when it is in the glute because then the movement is straight forward whereas groin or back means that movement can be quite annoying.

Having undergone some chest surgeries last year, I know what proper pain is and this injury gives me at most a 3/10 ache (usually a 1/10 ache). However, they drastically reduce my ability to bend down and pick up things and if I were to try to bowl full tilt without a very long warm up, the pain would be a 10/10.

The best way I have found to get rid of the pain is to be out and about, but when I've had a lazy day and been lounging around the house, it hurts quite a bit. Some days, I go for 3 runs a day and it feels pretty good but I cannot be expected to do that for the rest of my life just to stay out of pain, can I? Also, the relief from doing exercise is strictly a temporary thing.

9for52

Cricket Spectator
A really good warm up is definitely a must when it comes to bowling. I've seen many an occasion where bowlers get slight niggles after not warming up correctly at traniing whereas if they stick to regular warm up routines injury risk is reduced.

It sounds as though the pain in your back and glute is not too extreme. How far into your cricket season are you? How many overs are you bowling weekly? Did you have a good preseason training?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It sounds as though the pain in your back and glute is not too extreme. How far into your cricket season are you? How many overs are you bowling weekly? Did you have a good preseason training?
I have not bowled regularly since February 2011 when I felt myself tweak a muscle in the lower right back and right leg which turned into a constant ache in life. I was ill with cancer of the chest from April-September and had a couple surgeries and a fair bit of chemo. I tried to bowl again in December 2011 (the pain faded somewhere around August) and was very weak but could bowl without discomfort. A couple days later, the ache returned.

Basically, every day, there is an ache somewhere in my lower right back or right leg. The ache is usually in a slightly different place each day but it is always there in some capacity. I think that while I have an ache just in everyday life, I shouldn't really be trying to bowl so I spend my time trying to work the core, stretch the glute, stretch the hamstrings, stretch the lumbar back so that the pain can be relieved but nothing has been successful.

Just under two months ago, on a day where the ache was low (but still there), I did a massive amount of stretching at home, went to university nets, bowled 20 minutes of very slow spin and then moved up to medium pace and eventually to 90% full tilt. The muscles were getting used to things but it was okay. However, after about 20 minutes, my back just decided to gradually stiffen up completely, so I bowled some more spin for 15 minutes and went home.

I'll tell you now though, I have to warm up so incredibly slowly that it will definitely make you laugh. I begin with spin that honestly a 10 year old will be able to dispatch because initially, my back just doesn't allow anything else.

For example, I cannot currently even imagine playing a game because if I am unable to bowl in the nets my slow spin for 20 minutes immediately before the fielding innings begins, I will simply be not able to bowl anything resembling cricket. Also, I feel that even when warmed up, something is stopping me from fully slipping myself into full gear.

Thanks for engaging with me, though, mate. I've seen a lot of physios and none have been able to help me and I had an MRI which frustratingly came out clear so I have no clue what is wrong. Probably something muscular but then why have no physios been able to fix it.

Last edited: