• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Looking back on the Hollioake experiment 20 odd years later

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There are quite a few dotted around in isolation as well. Fred did an article that suggested he might have become captain had he lived. A suggestion instantly ridiculed by Goughy that included the phrase “wasn’t a good cricketer”. It must still be around somewhere.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Vaas thing was as a pinch hitting role I guess. Brendan Julian batted 3 once that series for Australia

And Jayawardene was just the token rookie having to bat at 6 before he was good enough to bat higher. De Silva and Ranatunga weren't gonna bat below him when he was 20
Same series and in the game where Murali got called for chucking, Mahela played a blinder and helped Sri Lanka chase down 300+. I didn’t even know who Jayawardene was prior to the series and thought the game was won once England had the top order out. Furthermore, 300+ prior to the 2000s was almost a guaranteed win so it was shocking seeing them chase that down.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Same series and in the game where Murali got called for chucking, Mahela played a blinder and helped Sri Lanka chase down 300+. I didn’t even know who Jayawardene was prior to the series and thought the game was won once England had the top order out. Furthermore, 300+ prior to the 2000s was almost a guaranteed win so it was shocking seeing them chase that down.
He was destined to take over from Aravinda. Despite being a lot less talented than Aravinda, ended up with a higher test average.