• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lions tour of New Zealand 2017

Howe_zat

Audio File
Announcement of the squad at 12:00 today.

Rumours around that Gatland has gone full Gatland and picked a majority-Welsh squad including Roberts for some reason.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm really trying to keep a lid on the outrage until the squad is confirmed, but if some of the leaks about the number of Leekist tourists are true then I could well go full YouTube - comments mental.

I mean, what is the thinking? Presumably Wales beating the Micks and the latter beating England means in Gatlandland the Welsh won the 6 Nations? Conveniently ignoring the Sweaties beating both their Celtic confreres. Which is apparently easy for Gatters as they got the bi - annual touch up at Twickenham.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Looking forward to at least 2 major rants on here then...maybe more?...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Brett Gosper
brettgosper
Many congratulations to @samwarburton_ on becoming only the second player, after Martin Johnson, to captain two @lionsofficial tours.

Gosper is the CEO of world rugby ftr

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Brett Gosper
brettgosper
Many congratulations to @samwarburton_ on becoming only the second player, after Martin Johnson, to captain two @lionsofficial tours.

Gosper is the CEO of world rugby ftr
Absolutely no problems (injury excepted) with Warburton touring (he's one of the four or five Taffs I would pick myself), but making him captain (unless Fatland is going completely off the reservation and ignoring Stander) means we're committed to playing a blind side at open side. Wales picking Tupiric at #7 is the big clue being ignored.

He's going to pick Halfpenny over Hogg isn't he?
Don't you believe it. Roberts at #12 means no Farrell and, well, you join the dots up...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Absolutely no problems (injury excepted) with Warburton touring (he's one of the four or five Taffs I would pick myself), but making him captain (unless Fatland is going completely off the reservation and ignoring Stander) means we're committed to playing a blind side at open side. Wales picking Tupiric at #7 is the big clue being ignored.
I'm not fussed about how a coach as poor as Howley chooses to deploy his back row, Warburton is a career 7 that moved to 6 this year.

Don't you believe it. Roberts at #12 means no Farrell and, well, you join the dots up...
Picking Roberts in the squad is one thing so long as I can convince myself he's just there as a midweek filler. Picking him n the starting XV would be absolute madness

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ok panic over, it's actually a good squad

Things I don't agree with:

Biggar over Ford/Russell
Moriarty/O'Brien over Robshaw
Lawes over Launchbury

All those are at least explicable
After the talk this morning I thought it was gonna be an absolute ****show

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, not having Biggar over Ford and I say that as someone who really doesn't mind Biggar

Howe_zat

Audio File
Props: Vunipola, McGrath, Marler, Cole, Furlong, Sinckler

Hookers: Owens, Best, George

Locks: Itoje, AWJ, Kruis, Lawes, Henderson

Back row: Warburton, O'Brien, Tipuric, Stander, Moriarty, O'Mahoney, Vunipola, Faletau

Scrum halves: Murray, Webb, Youngs

Fly halves: ***ton, Farrell, Biggar

Centres: Henshaw, Davies, Joseph, Te'o, Daly

Back three: North, Nowell, Seymour, Watson, Williams, Hogg, Halfpenny, Payne

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
How do you guys expect them to go against the All Blacks and against their mid-week opponents? Confident?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not fussed about how a coach as poor as Howley chooses to deploy his back row, Warburton is a career 7 that moved to 6 this year.
Well honest men can differ, but he doesn't fit my idea of an open side. Doesn't turn as much ball over as Tupiric does either. Very much a Robshaw/Haskell 6 and a half but without The Brand's ball carrying.

Anyhoo the Roberts thing was clearly a massive troll to get Biggar and Davies, J under the radar.

Payne ' s a slightly fortunate fellow too. Ringrose the opposite.

At least Payne can stay with relatives and save on hotels I guess.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm sure Payne's there because he's a utility back. We'll see him play at 12, 13 and 15 in successive midweek games I reckon.

Howe_zat

Audio File
How do you guys expect them to go against the All Blacks and against their mid-week opponents? Confident?
I don't think anyone can be confident against the All Blacks. I'd be happy with a close series.

Midweek games, no idea. Last time out the Aussie franchises rested their first teams (except the Brumbies and Reds) and there were blowouts. I'd be reasonably confident but by the second half of the tour they might just call up some filler for those games.