• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's say your nation reaches the final of the ICC test championship in June '21...

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
This thread will age well for sure :)

My team would be

Shaw
Agarwal
Pujara
Kohli
Vihari
Gill
Pant
Bhuvi
Ishant
Shami
Bumrah

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So just post your team and be done with it, instead of gathering in little packs like you sometimes do.
Oh, at some point, someone will take a shot at a "Combined Finalists XI", and then watch the sparks fly over Labuschagne vs. Pujara, Starc vs. Bumrah, Ashwin vs. Lyon etc. Bank on it. :cool:

Gob

International Coach
All looks to be fairly stable for Australia at the moment, which was unthinkable 12-18 months ago. Second opener is clearly the biggest concern, I would pretty much just say anyone but Bancroft at this stage. Patterson definitely next cab off the rank for the middle order, don't especially like the idea of him opening unless he starts doing it regularly for NSW and has some success in the role. Fast bowling will hopefully be the dream/meme quartet, I would have JRichardson and Green if he isn't broken as probably the others.

Still think Australia needs to be cautious AF with Pucovski, I just want to see him get through a solid uninterrupted run of Shield cricket first
Bring back Arun

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought I saw posts talking about KJ playing in Australia here in CW at that time?
Yeah, he was in the squad, but NOBODY thought he would set the world on fire in the way he has. Was rated at the time as a moderately effective medium pacer who’d make a decent back-up for Southee. The idea that he might be in the conversation for NZ’s best bowler since Hadlee was never even entertained, even by his supporters.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, he was in the squad, but NOBODY thought he would set the world on fire in the way he has. Was rated at the time as a moderately effective medium pacer who’d make a decent back-up for Southee. The idea that he might be in the conversation for NZ’s best bowler since Hadlee was never even entertained, even by his supporters.
In hindsight, it may have been good that he did not debut there and lose some confidence maybe.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
When is the next one of these? I would hope ideally that it's no sooner than 4 years to give the best chance of getting a full cycle in. Also scarcity makes it more meaningful. New champion every 2 years is way too quick a turn over for me.
Yeah they’re every two years … seems too quick for me as well. But I guess on the other side of things, if they’re every four years then the teams have so much turnover, and the finalists could potentially also be all but decided two years out from the final. Maybe three years is a good compromise, with a year off for the ODI World Cup?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Players structure their retirement plans around world tournaments so I don’t see that being a problem. One issue could be that if 2 or 3 teams streak away from the rest, then the format could become fairly meaningless to the rest of the world. That could be addressed by a semi-final round though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Every 2 years means the tour schedule will heavily influence who makes it. Anyone that just happens to have a relatively easy draw for the 2 years will be heavily favoured