• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spin Thread

andmark

International Captain
I hope ***** won't mind me adopting his/ your idea of creating a mega-thread thread for the discussion of leg spin. There's been many threads on both styles of spin and, as ***** has rightly done, it would be useful just to have mega threads for the two style of spin to concentrate thought. Furthermore there are subtleties in spin which don't demand a whole thread, but are worthy of discussion (e.g knowing when to vary pace) and so a mega thread is necessary.

In that spirit, let's get cracking. Fortunately for us leggies, the best ever leg spinner (I'll avoid the term "wrist spin" because Murali was able to use his wrist incredibly despite being an off spinner- meaning leg spin can't monopolise the term) has always been willing to share his secrets. Thus Warne's tutorials on Youtube will feature heavily in this thread. The following video is a great tutorial for the basic variations of leg spin.

cnerd123

likes this
Soooo many threads here for Leggies.

I remember there was a series of videos by this guy who explained every variation bowled by legspinners over the ages. If I find it I'll share it here.

Warne's a pretty bad model because he's actually quite unconventional with his runup and release. And like Swann, he has massive fingers, so trying to imitate him with normal hands might not be the best idea.

andmark

International Captain
Soooo many threads here for Leggies.

I remember there was a series of videos by this guy who explained every variation bowled by legspinners over the ages. If I find it I'll share it here.

Warne's a pretty bad model because he's actually quite unconventional with his runup and release. And like Swann, he has massive fingers, so trying to imitate him with normal hands might not be the best idea.
I don't know, I've always copied him. I probably have his action quite close to being identical :laugh: . With that said though, it's probably because when I was 8/9/10, I was willing to spend hours upon hours practising, along with the fact that I also have big hands.

I remember some useful website for leg spin; will try to dig it out. Edit: success! http://legspinbowling.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
The googly is a weird one as I found out learning it this summer. I reckon if a bowler is to learn it, it needs to come after much debating with themselves about whether or not to learn it and for it to be a conscious decision rather than just "good leg spinners bowl it, so I will". This is because of the major problem with causing the wrist to go into positions where you can't bowl the leg break (an obviously massive problem for a bowler whose stock bowl is meant to the leg break). It happened to me in the summer and I still haven't got the leg break back to what it was before and at it's worst, it just had a top spinner effect. The above blog goes into it in more detail and is worthy a read. Furthermore, if a leggie has a sharp turning leg break the batsmen will respect it enough for a googly not having a dramatically better effect than the top spinner. If anything, the top spinner is better because it's more easily disguised.

If you are to bowl it, then the tutorial in the first post with Warne is good, however he doesn't note that the position of the wrist during the whole delivery- only saying its position when the ball is bowled. I'd note the following video is better, and I'd pay good attention to the bowler's wrist position:

Antihippy

International Debutant
I tend to believe that if you have a legbreak that spins appreciably you don't need the googly, especially seeing the action and the line you need to bowl it at makes it very easy to distinguish it from the leg break.

cnerd123

likes this
I tend to believe that if you have a legbreak that spins appreciably you don't need the googly, especially seeing the action and the line you need to bowl it at makes it very easy to distinguish it from the leg break.
Lots of legbreaks outside off with varying pace and flight, slightly different lengths, and then a googly on the same spot. Don't need to change your line.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Eh, kind of feel like a obvious setup though, plus I like to usually land around off stump to between slightly outside leg-stump.

I dunno, I subscribe to shane warne's theory that a variety of straighter ones are more important than a googly.

andmark

International Captain
I used to play at club level and play friendly matches occasionally. Why, may I ask?

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I'm determined that England produce a decent leg spinner. Have you coached anyone which fits that category?

edynamo

Cricket Spectator
I'm determined that England produce a decent leg spinner. Have you coached anyone which fits that category?
A fair way off that I am afraid, worked with a few promising lads though

Think it will take a bit of time to produce a regular stream of leggies!

andmark

International Captain
I saw highlights of this match yesterday and Warne was amazing. It was another occasion where he didn't deserve to be on the losing side.