• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

left hand XI vs right hand XI

tooextracool

International Coach
well since there seem to be so many all time XI's going around i thought this one wouldnt be so bad

left hand XI

gary kirsten
matthew hayden
brian lara
graeme pollock
gary sobers
allan border/clive lloyd(c)
adam gilchrist
alan davison
hedley verity
wasim akram
bishen bedi
(the bowling is kinda weak)

right hand XI

jack hobbs
sunil gavaskar
don bradman
viv richards
barry richards
imran khan(c)
alan knott
malcolm marshall
shane warne
curtley ambrose
fred trueman

note- a person who bats left and bowls right(or vice versa) should be picked on basis of what skill they were better at. so someone like ambrose should be picked as a right handed player.

Craig

World Traveller
A bowling line-up that Has Wasim Akram, Hedley Verity and Alan Davson isn't so bad.

Waughney

International Debutant
Not as good as:
malcolm marshall
shane warne
curtley ambrose
fred trueman

But left XI bowling still not that bad.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
well since there seem to be so many all time XI's going around i thought this one wouldnt be so bad

left hand XI

gary kirsten
matthew hayden
brian lara
graeme pollock
gary sobers
allan border/clive lloyd(c)
adam gilchrist
alan davison
hedley verity
wasim akram
bishen bedi
(the bowling is kinda weak)

right hand XI

jack hobbs
sunil gavaskar
don bradman
viv richards
barry richards
imran khan(c)
alan knott
malcolm marshall
shane warne
curtley ambrose
fred trueman

note- a person who bats left and bowls right(or vice versa) should be picked on basis of what skill they were better at. so someone like ambrose should be picked as a right handed player.
What about saeed Anwar for left hander

twctopcat

International Regular
imranrabb said:
What about saeed Anwar for left hander
Sorry but i think that Kirsten and Hayden are both better than Anwar. They compliment each other very well.

chicane

State Captain
twctopcat said:
Sorry but i think that Kirsten and Hayden are both better than Anwar. They compliment each other very well.
I think Saeed Anwar is quite underrated.

twctopcat

International Regular
chicane said:
I think Saeed Anwar is quite underrated.
Anwar was a brilliant player, i'm not doubting that. However Kirsten was the perfect stonewaller yet Hayden is a very accomplished attacking opening test batsmen.

tooextracool

International Coach
Rich2001 said:
I guess you could have someone like C.Vaas?
lol that would make my attack weaker...... i think the 4 bowlers there are much better than vaas who has really struggled outside SL.

chicane

State Captain
tooextracool said:
lol that would make my attack weaker...... i think the 4 bowlers there are much better than vaas who has really struggled outside SL.
He's one of the better exponents of swing, and in SL the conditions are not exactly the best for him.....He did very well in South Africa last year.

twctopcat

International Regular
Let's not start arguing about whether Vaas is the best/worst bowler in the world. Even though these are extreme views you know what i mean.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
A bowling line-up that Has Wasim Akram, Hedley Verity and Alan Davson isn't so bad.
Yes, but it's by no means a World All Time attack, so in that sense it isn't that great.

masterblaster

International Captain
Your Tendulkar bias is showing quite clearly once again tooextracool.

Im astounded to find that Tendulkar, after all his achievements does not feature in your right handers squad.

But anyway, everybody has their own opinion. Most of the time, these all time team discussion's are trivial anyway.

tooextracool

International Coach
masterblaster said:
Your Tendulkar bias is showing quite clearly once again tooextracool.

Im astounded to find that Tendulkar, after all his achievements does not feature in your right handers squad.

But anyway, everybody has their own opinion. Most of the time, these all time team discussion's are trivial anyway.
ive mentioned my reasons as to why i dont rate tendulkar earlier and also made a list of 25 batsman who i rated higher than him before.......besides i dont think tendulkar is a better batsman than bradman or either of the richards.

Deja moo

International Captain
tooextracool said:
ive mentioned my reasons as to why i dont rate tendulkar earlier and also made a list of 25 batsman who i rated higher than him before.......besides i dont think tendulkar is a better batsman than bradman or either of the richards.
because bradman and the richards's batted no 4 ?

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I reckon these two are pretty good:

LH XI
Saeed Anwar
Matthew Hayden
Brian Lara
Alan Border
Gary Sobers
Clive Lloyd
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Alan Davidson
Hedley Verity
Bishen Bedi

RH XI
Jack Hobbs
Herbet Sutcliffe
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
Sachin Tendulkar
Steve Waugh
Rod Marsh
Richard Hadlee
Muttiah Muralitharan
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes

I'm crazy about doing thes sort of things. Last year I made all the test countries best ever XI's started the ODI one's as well. Then came the alphabetical XI, W is the strongest. Anyway, why can't you attach Excel files?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
With such a small pool to choose from its difficult to atgue much about the Southpaws XI but the Right handers situation is different. A few comments.

1) Why three openers ? If Barry Richards is considered good enough , which is probably right except that he played only four tests, then why shouldnt he open instead of Gavasker. I may have preferred Either Hutton or Sutcliffe with Hobbs and filled the available middle order position with Hammond.

2) I prefer George Headley to Viv Richards but its a close call.

3) With a five bowler attack, I would replace Imran with a better batsman -all rounder in Botham

4) Instead of four pacers I would get an extra spinner in Verity or Laker and remove Ambrose.

5) I would replace Trueman with either Lindwall or Lillee who by all accounts (of those who have seen all) were better bowlers.

6) I would NEVER leave out Barnes from any side where he was eligible 8-)

My side would read pretty different in:- Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Headley(or Richards), Hammond, Botham(or Woolley), Taylor (or Healy), Lindwall(or Lillee), Hadlee, Barnes, Orielly, Verity(or Marshall depending on which all rounder you choose).

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:
because bradman and the richards's batted no 4 ?
nope because i reckon if im going to pick tendulkar hes going to bat at either 3,4 or 5. and viv richards batted at 4.