• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Left arm spin bowlers find it harder to become strike bowlers?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Most batsmen are right handed and I have this feeling its much more difficult for the left hand spin bowlers to become strike bowlers as they bowl a lot outside the leg stump or the batsmen pad to them.

If you think of it, not many great left arm spin bowlers comparing with other categories over the years.

What say?

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Most batsmen are right handed and I have this feeling its much more difficult for the left hand spin bowlers to become strike bowlers as they bowl a lot outside the leg stump or the batsmen pad to them.

If you think of it, not many great left arm spin bowlers comparing with other categories over the years.

What say?
Well I don't really agree because I don't think that most batsmen are right handed.

bryce

International Regular
Pratyush said:

What say?
IMO spinners are more effective when the ball is spinning away from the batsman, i think that all left-arm spinners should bowl around the wicket to right handers aswell, going over the wicket to right hand batsman is not the way to go i think, especially if your after wickets.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
bryce said:
IMO spinners are more effective when the ball is spinning away from the batsman, i think that all left-arm spinners should bowl around the wicket to right handers aswell, going over the wicket to right hand batsman is not the way to go i think, especially if your after wickets.
Exactly why I think they are ineffetive a LOT. They bowl over the wicket even to right handers and just arent as effective..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
I agree.

Plagiarising our Msn convo stuff for a thread on CW is not the done thing.
I asked the question on msn and no one gave a good answer. And I thought getting perspectives would be a good option.

:p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pratyush said:
I asked the question on msn and no one gave a good answer. And I thought getting perspectives would be a good option.

:p
you thought wrong... :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
being a left arm orthodox bowler, i am always told to do one or the other. the simple fact is that first of all, it is always tough for a finger spinner to be an 'attacking bowler' as such, as they are not able to gain as much purcahse on the ball as a leggie. second of all, there are legitimate reasons for both going over and around the wicket to right handers.

going over the wicket is an effective tactic if there is little turn in the pitch, as it brings the slip into play moreso than if bowling over the wicket. if the pitch has a lot of bounce in it, then bowling over the wicket can enhance the chance of a catch going to forward short leg. in one day matches, it works as a defensive tactic, while in the longer version of the game, it can be used to reduce width afforded to a batsman who likes to free their arms, or who cannot play the sweep proficiently and attack this weakness.

bowling around the wicket always increases the chances of an lbw or a bowled, and if the ball is turning, is the most effective form of bowling in an attacking manner. the arm ball is usually more dangerous from around the wicket. it also allows movement around the crease to be more effective.

left arm spinners who were/are strike bowlers include bishen bedi, derek underwood (quick, but did take wickets), vettori and giles. remember that just as most people are right hand batsman, even a greater proportion are right arm bowlers and this means that because the pool is smaller to choose from, the number of quality left arm spinners will be less

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Im a left handed orthodox spinner and sometimes i do find it difficult to be a "strike bowler" basically because i bowl on the leg stump alot.

Though last year i was top wicket ticket for my school team and club division its not always difficult. The fact that u can spin it away from right hand batters is a bonus but because i mainly bowl on leg stump i can sometimes get smashed when the batter goes after me

*** I do bowl over the wicket and find it can be more affective at TIMES but cancels out LBW chances ***

bryce

International Regular
leg stump? that's a bit silly, i would of thought a left-arm spinner around the wicket to a right hand batsman would aim for about middle

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori bowled around the wicket a lot and has a lot of success. But Rafique would be the most successful in taking wickets bowling over the wicket

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the only real way for SLA bowlers to take wickets over the wicket is to get turn and bounce. You have to be an extremely good bowler to do that, especially with any regularity and accuracy.