• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee and Steyn serve up a treat

pup11

International Coach
Any batsmen would fear losing his wicket more than taking a few badges of honour (as Justin Langer says) on his body for his country, with so much protective equipment the batsmen have less fear of getting hurt by a fast bowler.

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, there's far more to "fear" as a batsman than fear of injury; fear of losing your wicket is far more significant. Most good batsmen are good enough to protect themselves from injury against the really fast bowlers anyway.

BTW, McGrath could and did bowl at 90mph in the late 1990s when speedguns were first introduced, he just decided to slow down around about 2001 sort of time.
yea but if you have fear of losing your wicket it could be against dennis lillee or allan border, it doesnt matter whos bowling.

fear of being hit puts doubt into the batsman's mind and keeps him on his back foot, playing into the bowler's hands.

Basically every batsman is afraid of getting out at the start of an innings, but only a certain bowler can make them scared.
Yeah... a good bowler.
Any batsmen would fear losing his wicket more than taking a few badges of honour (as Justin Langer says) on his body for his country, with so much protective equipment the batsmen have less fear of getting hurt by a fast bowler.
I was talking about the fear of getting hurt...genuine fear for own personal safety, not worry or concern about getting out. A genuinely quick and hostile bowler like say Thommo is always going to strike fear into batsmen even if they refuse to admit it or show any signs of fear.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The only gripe I have with the article is the start where he makes out bowlers like McGrath scared the living **** out of batsmen? McGrath was never fast enough to scare the skin off a rice pudding
A mate of mine wasnt a world class cricketer but got to face the touring Aussies in the late 90s in a FC game. Opened the batting. Faced 5 balls from McGrath and got hit 3 times and got out on the 5th. Said he didnt know what to do as it was good pace and crazy bounce. Too good for him and definately a painful experience

Fiery

Banned
A mate of mine wasnt a world class cricketer but got to face the touring Aussies in the late 90s in a FC game. Opened the batting. Faced 5 balls from McGrath and got hit 3 times and got out on the 5th. Said he didnt know what to do as it was good pace and crazy bounce. Too good for him and definately a painful experience
OK, I'm sure he would be able to hurry up most batsmen on his day. The point I was trying to make was that the article was supposed to be about quick bowlers and, as we all know, McGrath was never ever seriously quick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was, though, he bowled 90mph in the 1999 WC several times, and as the story of Kev's mate demonstrates, that's plenty quick enough. Also ask the West Indians who faced him in 1995 (before speedguns).

The trouble with the McGrath story is that, when he was at his absolute best (ie, 2004\05 to retirement), it was at a time when he wasn't at his absolute quickest. Doesn't mean there was never a time when he was seriously quick.

Fiery

Banned
He was, though, he bowled 90mph in the 1999 WC several times, and as the story of Kev's mate demonstrates, that's plenty quick enough. Also ask the West Indians who faced him in 1995 (before speedguns).

The trouble with the McGrath story is that, when he was at his absolute best (ie, 2004\05 to retirement), it was at a time when he wasn't at his absolute quickest. Doesn't mean there was never a time when he was seriously quick.
OK, we're on slightly different wave-lengths here. Hey Rich, is there a particular thread where people talk about their own personal cricket seasons?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Matt Pitt started one but only for us in these isles... might be one for the Kiwis mind, I'm sure there would be in fact if you dig deep enough.

Fiery

Banned
Think Matt Pitt started one but only for us in these isles... might be one for the Kiwis mind, I'm sure there would be in fact if you dig deep enough.
Thanks. I started a thread in the Cricket Clubs forum. Cheers Rich

bond21

Banned
strike bowlership is not a word.

the fool also spelt McGrath wrong every single time.

is there no editor for these shoddy articles or something?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain

If you think the article is so shoddy why not send a polite e-mail off to the author letting him know of your opinion and suggesting improvements for future articles? It'd do a lot more good than arrogantly whinging about it on the forum and calling people fool.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
bond21 you're on pretty thin ice at the moment, if you can't contribute positively then you can go somewhere else. This applies to all other threads in which your only intent seems to be to stir trouble.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain

:laugh: Excellently well constructed advice Bond21, I dare say with such a vocabulary yourself that knocking up such an article would be no problem at all. Here's looking forward to your next informative (yet really quite boring) remark. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
bond21 you're on pretty thin ice at the moment, if you can't contribute positively then you can go somewhere else. This applies to all other threads in which you're only intent seems to be to stir trouble.
Hear hear.