• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee and Kaneria

shortpitched713

International Captain
These guys are a lot more similar than they would appear at first glance. Both of them have had a lot of hype, both of them have all the tools to be great bowlers, and both of them have averages on the wrong side of 30 and have generally not performed up to their potential in Test matches. Why the hell is this the case?

Personally I don't think it is anything technical about their bowling. Lee has one of the best pace generating actions I've seen, and Kaneria effectively bowls all of the variations that a leg spinner could hope for. Anyway, just wondering what your alls thoughts on these bowlers are and why they are underperforming.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't consider Kaneria the best spinner at Pakistan's disposal right now. I rate Mushtaq Ahmed far higher. The reason Kaneria is so highly rated is his age. He's 25 and the best wristspinner in Test cricket outside of Australia (I don't consider Kumble a typical wristspinner). That's due to lack of competition though.

Kaneria has potential, but he's far from a world class spinner. He's averaged more than 35 in 4 of his last 5 Test series. In his last 15 series he has averaged under 30 just thrice - twice against Sri Lanka and once against South Africa. In that time, he has averaged over 50 five times. He may have the tools, yes, but you need more than potential to be a top class sportsman.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is almost always going to be a weak link in any bowling line up and currently for Australia Brett Lee is the one who tries to mix it up a little, bowl fast and try and intimidate the batsman more that the probing bowling of McGrath and Clark which is not easy to hit out against.