• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman career in Jeopardy

thierry henry

International Coach
People should learn to see figures in perspective rather than use them selectively as poor crutches for their biases.
My biases? I'm all the way over in New Zealand, what reason would I have to be biased for or against Laxman? I couldn't care less, yet it's obvious that you and my other adversaries in this thread are huge Laxman fans- I am not the biased one. You seem to think that Laxman is some sort of special player immune from criticism. It is my contention that Laxman, while a good international player, is simply not a "special" player, which is something you seem to take for granted. I do not believe he will go down in history as a great batsman or anything near it.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No one said he will go down in history as a great batsman ! Dont imagine things that dont exist or is this a speciality of yours ?

But there is a BIG GAP betwen those who go down in the history as greats and those who are flat-track bullies and you need just a little bit of vision to see that gap and those players who occupy it !!

But maybe thats asking for too much :sleep:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
thierry henry said:
My biases? I'm all the way over in New Zealand, what reason would I have to be biased for or against Laxman? I couldn't care less, yet it's obvious that you and my other adversaries in this thread are huge Laxman fans- I am not the biased one. You seem to think that Laxman is some sort of special player immune from criticism. It is my contention that Laxman, while a good international player, is simply not a "special" player, which is something you seem to take for granted. I do not believe he will go down in history as a great batsman or anything near it.
Where did you get this "u are all big fans of Laxman" from? Is that because most of us want him out of the ODI side or what? You were the one who used the word "flat track bully" and sorry, that just speaks of bias. We never said that he was the best or that he was great. All we said was that he was good and, whether you like it or not, he is GOOD.

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Where did you get this "u are all big fans of Laxman" from? Is that because most of us want him out of the ODI side or what? You were the one who used the word "flat track bully" and sorry, that just speaks of bias. We never said that he was the best or that he was great. All we said was that he was good and, whether you like it or not, he is GOOD.
Not Good enough for ODI's...at all

ReallyCrazy

Banned
The problem with Laxman is that he cannot play aerial shots and those are needed in OD cricket. He is a natural stroke maker (damn he's so stylish playing those drives) but he cannot play aggressively. If he comes in at # 3, he will want to stay at the crease till the end but that will lead to more bad than good for the team. I wouldn't want Laxman at the crease after the 40th over.

Another thing about Laxman is that he is susceptible to accurate fast bowling. He will get to a stylish 20 and suddenly get comprehensively bowled out of nowhere. He is great when everything is going right and the shots are flowing. That "freak" week in Australia, where he got 3 centuries is good example. But if everything is not right, he is not able to dig himself out of the hole. He gets out. I wouldn't want Laxman in the side hoping everything goes right for him. I want a RELIABLE guy at #3.

As Bharani said, he should get a chance in the India-Pakistan series. If he doesn't perform, he's got to be replaced unfortunately.

If India persist with 7 batters, I think Hemang Badani should get a chance in his place.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
ReallyCrazy said:
The problem with Laxman is that he cannot play aerial shots and those are needed in OD cricket. He is a natural stroke maker (damn he's so stylish playing those drives) but he cannot play aggressively.
You dont need to play aerial strokes to score runs fast. It depends on the style of the player.

He is such a natural stroke maker as you pointed out that if he does not lose his wicket, he can hit a boundary in 6-8 balls he faces. Add to that 2 runs off singles in 7 balls atleast and you still have 6 out of 8 runs.

Thats not the problem, sorry.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
You dont need to play aerial strokes to score runs fast. It depends on the style of the player.

He is such a natural stroke maker as you pointed out that if he does not lose his wicket, he can hit a boundary in 6-8 balls he faces. Add to that 2 runs off singles in 7 balls atleast and you still have 6 out of 8 runs.

Pratyush,

This is a waste of time. Believe me.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Pratyush said:

IMO it is a problem. In OD cricket, you need to be able to hit the ball in the air. Being a natural stroke maker is good but there are times when you need to clear the fielders with power shots which Laxman is incapable of doing. I wouldn't want Laxman in the middle after the 40th over.

C_C

International Captain
Laxman had a good year in 2004...but he's been a flop against everyone except the aussies.
next best average agianst proper team is 31....vs Pak...simply not good enough.

Also, Laxman is a poor runner between the wickets...he converts twos into ones and threes into twos......and he is not very good in the middle overs, when the objective is to rotate strike.........laxman is the sort who has a decent strike rate but its 2 fours and 8 dot balls outta 10 kinda deal....that builds pressure on the other batsmen...
He isnt a terrible ODI player but simply put, he doesnt fit in properly to the IND ODI team.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
C_C said:
Laxman had a good year in 2004...but he's been a flop against everyone except the aussies.
next best average agianst proper team is 31....vs Pak...simply not good enough.

Also, Laxman is a poor runner between the wickets...he converts twos into ones and threes into twos......and he is not very good in the middle overs, when the objective is to rotate strike.........laxman is the sort who has a decent strike rate but its 2 fours and 8 dot balls outta 10 kinda deal....that builds pressure on the other batsmen...
He isnt a terrible ODI player but simply put, he doesnt fit in properly to the IND ODI team.
Yes i agree with C C. Perhaps Laxman should work on improving his Fielding and running between the wickets in order to be considered for a slot in the ODI 11 ........ :dry:

Deja moo

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
The problem with Laxman is that he cannot play aerial shots and those are needed in OD cricket. He is a natural stroke maker (damn he's so stylish playing those drives) but he cannot play aggressively. If he comes in at # 3, he will want to stay at the crease till the end but that will lead to more bad than good for the team. I wouldn't want Laxman at the crease after the 40th over.

Another thing about Laxman is that he is susceptible to accurate fast bowling. He will get to a stylish 20 and suddenly get comprehensively bowled out of nowhere. He is great when everything is going right and the shots are flowing. That "freak" week in Australia, where he got 3 centuries is good example. But if everything is not right, he is not able to dig himself out of the hole. He gets out. I wouldn't want Laxman in the side hoping everything goes right for him. I want a RELIABLE guy at #3.

As Bharani said, he should get a chance in the India-Pakistan series. If he doesn't perform, he's got to be replaced unfortunately.

If India persist with 7 batters, I think Hemang Badani should get a chance in his place.
But is he good looking? Is he a favourite of the establishment?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think one of those two deserve another run in the side to prove themselves. But I am not sure if we will have this 7 batter thing again, at all.