• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman career in Jeopardy

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As usual, people talk through their hats. They have no idea of facts and they assume that their fixed notions and ideas are actually facts.

- Laxman averaged higher than each and every Indian batsmen during 2004,

- Laxman also scored 4 out of the six centuries Indian batsmen scored against Australia and Pakistan,

- Laxman averaged more than 10 runs per innings extra in ODIs in 2004 than his career average. Every major Indian batsman averaged less than their career avg during 2004 or just matched it. So this was by far his best year ever in the limited over game.

And surprise surprise.....

His strike rate in Australi was higher than everyone except Sehwag and Yuvraj.(higher even than Sachin) !!!

Against Pakistan, his strike rate was higher than everyone except Sehwag (this time higfher than even Yuvraj) !!!

Dont believe it. Check for yourselves.

Here are some revealing figures for the statistically and otherwise challenged :p

Indian Batsmen in 2004 (ODI's)

PLAYER AVG '04 (Career Avg) 100's in 2004 Str Rate vs Aust ST Rate vs Pak

Ganguly:
32.65 (32.65)..........0...........75..........80

Dravid : 39.4 (39.4)...........1..........75..........62

Tendulkar : 40.6(44.8)..........1..........79..........90

Yuvraj : 30.0(30.0)...........1..........95...........89

Laxman : 41.85 (31.63).......... 4.......... 83..........90

WHERE IS THE JUSTIFICATION FOR DROPPING LAXMAN FROM THE ONE DAYSIDE ? BECAUSE HE HAD A BAD PATCH AFTER PAKISTAN ? IF SO DOES THIS BAD PATCH CRITERIA ONLY APPLY TO ONE PLAYER IN THE INDIAN TEAM ??

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
i am amazed that in india people are calling for his head when he bashed the Australians lees than a year ago. and he averaged 41. I cannot believe how short some people's memories are

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman should never be selected to play ODIs. He can't take quick singles and he is a liability in the field. How many times we have seen him getting out in 20s when he has looked in great form ? He is a great test player and should stick to TESTs.

As for his record in 2004, well I would have been happier if Team India's record had improved during these so called astronomical knocks of Laxman.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
As usual, people talk through their hats. They have no idea of facts and they assume that their fixed notions and ideas are actually facts.

- Laxman also scored 4 out of the six centuries Indian batsmen scored against Australia and Pakistan,

- Laxman averaged more than 10 runs per innings extra in ODIs in 2004 than his career average. Every major Indian batsman averaged less than their career avg during 2004 or just matched it. So this was by far his best year ever in the limited over game.

His strike rate in Australi was higher than everyone except Sehwag and Yuvraj.(higher even than Sachin) !!!

Against Pakistan, his strike rate was higher than everyone except Sehwag (this time higfher than even Yuvraj) !!!

Here are some revealing figures for the statistically and otherwise challenged :p

Ganguly:

WHERE IS THE JUSTIFICATION FOR DROPPING LAXMAN FROM THE ONE DAYSIDE ? BECAUSE HE HAD A BAD PATCH AFTER PAKISTAN ? IF SO DOES THIS BAD PATCH CRITERIA ONLY APPLY TO ONE PLAYER IN THE INDIAN TEAM ??

With all due respect (and I mean it) do you have stats of Singles refused by Laxman or Catches dropped by him.

Also If I am not wrong, Laxman scored only 3 centuries against Aus/Pak, one of the centuries was against Zimbabwe. Laxman's average went up due to that freaky performance he had in one week (3 ODI tons) in Australia, for rest of the 51 weeks he was his usual (inconsistent) self in ODIs.

Waughney

International Debutant
SJS said:
Laxman is basically a RYTHM & TOUCH player.

Once he is in great touch in tests, he will destroy any bowling in any format. He has hown that repeatedly. His best one day performances have come only when he has been in great test match form.

But if his form is IFFY, he must be immediately taken off from the ODI side and continued in the test squad for some more time for his touch to return
SJS hits the nail on the head.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:

Ganguly:

Well, I agree that it was not the best time to drop him, but like I keep saying, I still do not see who he can replace in the Indian ODI side. The best possible guy he can replace is Dravid, at no.4 or no.3, but I wonder how many here think that Laxman is better than Dravid in ODIs. He might get to play the odd game, but, unfortunately for him, with our current team composition, he does not have a good chance of being a regular member of the side.

cricket player

International Debutant
What?Laxman is a great player. he is one of the best classic batsman in the world.

here is what bret lee has to say about laxman.

If you get dravid out great,If you get sachin out brilliant,If you get laxman miracle.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
What?Laxman is a great player. he is one of the best classic batsman in the world.

here is what bret lee has to say about laxman.

If you get dravid out great,If you get sachin out brilliant,If you get laxman miracle.
The way Bret Lee has been bowling now a days, it would be a miracle of he could get Nehra out. :p

No one is denying Laxman's class here, IMO he is one of the best in Tests we have but his style is not suited for ODIs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
vic_orthdox said:
because clearly the indian team need more players who score hundreds versus the zimbos and bangers, and then fail against the real teams.
Playing exceptionally against one team or a few teams or on few ocassions and throwing his wicket away against the others is not desirable.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:
He has been very insonsistent. Its not with regars to this specific bad patch but over his career, he has been guilty of not making the most of starts. I would say give him a series vs Pakistan. If he still shows tendency to lose his wicket because of rashness, drop him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
SJS, I've been saying that all along. Glad to have someone agreeing though. :)
Me too. Laxman is a class player, be it Tests or ODI's. He's outperformed all the so-called ODI regulars. One just has to look- Badani, Yuvraj, Kaif and Mongia just have 5 centuries between them- Laxman has 6 centuries of his own. He's an aggressive player who likes to keep the momentum going, which is good for ODI's.

Laxman may not be a great outfielder, but he's a terrific slip-catcher. The slips are a lot stronger when he's fielding there- it helps getting early wickets, and the Indian new-ball bowlers need all the help they can get. Dinesh Mongia and Virendra Sehwag are no great outfielders themelves- they often use their feet to stop the ball, only to fail. Moreover, they're weak links in slips. Ganguly's a terrible fielder wherever placed- yet he's the captain of the ODI side. Maybe that's why he's off the hook. Is it a surprise that they don't win too many tournaments? Then there are Zaheer and Nehra, who still figure in the selectors' plans- the same who try to keep Laxman out. And who can forget those clowns behind the stumps?

Laxman may not run fast, but he's a hard runner. One can NEVER fault him for effort. Even if he does not run too many betwen wickets, he's effective in the first 15 overs when he can pick the gaps and hit fors, yet he's running after he hits the ball. Ganguly and Dinesh rarely attempt singles and even if they do, they just walk between wickets. All arguments used against Laxman in any area must be used against everyone else found wanting.

There is a section of fans who want him to be replaced by Dinesh Mongia- a jaw-dropping selection by all means.
Playing exceptionally against one team or a few teams or on few ocassions and throwing his wicket away against the others is not desirable.
It happens with all class players. The same batsman scored over 50 on a terrible Mumbai pitch, where many others failed. He doesn't intentionally throw his wicket away. He just uses an angled bat whenever he bats. If he gave the ball the full face of the bat, not only would he last longer, he would also send the ball travelling further.

Above all, Laxman has a superior degree of cricketing intelligence, apart from his batting skills. All of his best batting performances are what you see of a thinking cricketer, even in ODI's. It does not matter which form of the game he plays, a class player always delivers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
He has been very insonsistent. Its not with regars to this specific bad patch but over his career, he has been guilty of not making the most of starts. I would say give him a series vs Pakistan. If he still shows tendency to lose his wicket because of rashness, drop him.
Remember, any complaints about Laxman's inconsistency apply for Yuvraj, Mongia, Kaif and Sehwag as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
As for his record in 2004, well I would have been happier if Team India's record had improved during these so called astronomical knocks of Laxman.
Our bowlers consisted of Balaji, Nehra and Zaheer Kahn. That's really going to win you ODIs.

I can't believe how ungrateful fellow Indian fans can be. Sehwag had a shocking year, why isn't he being dropped? Kaif has been inconsistent in the past (though he's peaking now) as well. Same with Yuvraj.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
Remember, any complaints about Laxman's inconsistency apply for Yuvraj, Mongia, Kaif and Sehwag as well.
We cant hide the mistake of one player because the others have made the same/similar error.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
We cant hide the mistake of one player because the others have made the same/similar error.
Except the others have been much worse. So you can't cut Laxman's head off and let the others off. Either take them all out, or let them be.

Its this favouritism which bugs me.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
How come all the classical players are the ones who get critisised the most? You cant teach talent like Laxman's.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Except the others have been much worse. So you can't cut Laxman's head off and let the others off. Either take them all out, or let them be.

Its this favouritism which bugs me.
There is no favouritism. I am a huge fan of Laxman's batting but there is no excuse for inconsistency. I have criticised Ganguly for the same reason. Kapil Dev criticised Ganguly yesterday on sportscentre for not setting a good example with the level of his commitment. If people do not value their wicket, there is no place for them, whoever it is.

Steulen

International Regular
SJS said:
Everyone would like to shrug it off as a conspiracy theory but its a fact that if Laxman had as many sponsors backing him as has Yuvraj, he wouldnt be dropped as easily as he is now.
SJS, I deeply respect your cricket knowledge and opinions, but I have to ask this:

How can a hypothetical situation equate to a fact?