• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Man Standing: 2013 AFL Season

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sydney lose by 1 point.

I hate your team now. I'm out of this competition in the first week.

Should have gone West Coast Ffs.
Looking at the tipping, the first round has been absolute carnage. I was the only one to tip West Coast I think.

Feeling pretty smug about it tbh. :happy:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You were the only one to tip West Coast? You mean Essendon I imagine?

Edit: Oh sorry you're referring to picking a team in the Last Man Standing. Thought you meant tipping.

Yeah West Coast were always going to beat the Roos, I was just sure Sydney would get up and had to release some of my frustration over Richmond's loss to Essendon by picking Sydney. Instead Essendon just **** me more.

R_D

International Debutant
i was trying to save west coast for more harder round.. where it be hard to pick a winner.. but damn the umpires and Peter Everitt and the massive post padding...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Does the team have to win, or just not lose? :laugh:
Has to be a win, I'm afraid.

For those of you not acquainted with the idea the rules are very straightforward: everyone who enters selects a team from the AFL each week, if they win you stay in but if they lose or draw, you're out. You can only select the same side once in each running of the competition (so if you select, say, Carlton this week & they win you cannot select them again). The last person left in the competition wins....

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know less than nothing about AFL and will pick on the evocative images each team conjures up.

As a result, I am picking Hawthorn - to commemorate both the wonderful character actor, Nigel Hawthorne and to recognise the imagery seen in sparrows nesting in hawthorn hedgerows.

If I win this, it will be a triumph of art over science!

I expect to be out in the first round.

Go Heath!
It looks like Hawthorn beat Port Adelaide 109 vs 75. Heath is still in the game and has certainly outperformed in this game (when considering I'm already out of the League game!!)

pasag

RTDAS
The story so far:

Eliminated (:laugh:)
Clapo
Jono
vic_orthdox
pasag
oz_fan
Samuel_Vimes
Jamee999
The Baconator
steds
marc71178
cameeel
magpie_man
superkingdave
NZTailender
Matteh
Cloete
bugssy
Simon
tadeusz
FaaipDeOiad
alternative
R_D
readie

Still standing
BoyBrumby
Neil Pickup
ash chaulk
HeathDavisSpeed
dontcloseyoureyes
Hoggy31

23 out, 6 still standing. Looks like we'll get that second round in after all.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
TBH this is why the AFL is so awesome.

Even league, bar a few teams, and so unpredictable.

Best sport.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Which is why I give sports betting, (or any betting for that matter), a wide berth
Not all sports are as unpredictable as AFL, and most are definitely not as even.

That being said, sport being unpredictable sometimes actually helps sports betting. Anyone who chucked a tenner on Essendon vs. Sydney this week would have been pretty happy. Same with Hawthorn vs. Port or Carlton vs. Bulldogs. All three, whilst upsets, aren't as far fetched as say Bolton beating Man U at home.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One result from this was that I ended up logging on to the AFL website and watching their internet coverage of Port vs Hawthorn. Obviously without seeing any pictures I could not make head nor tail of it. It keep telling me that Port 'FALL BEHIND' but got a point for it?? This defies logic and confuses Heath no end.