• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Last Ball Six, Who Do You Turn To?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
[Kiwi bias]Andre Adams hit two sixes off the last two balls of a VB series match one year. Pretty good slogs.
Kyle Mills had a pretty good tonk one year too...
Chris Cairns always seemed to create a six out of nothing.
[/Kiwi bias]

Brett Lee can force one over the ropes pretty well too.

I'm thinking more of 6/7/8/9 batsmen ATM, rather than top order batsmen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
[Kiwi bias]Andre Adams hit two sixes off the last two balls of a VB series match one year. Pretty good slogs.
[/Kiwi bias]

Brett Lee can force one over the ropes pretty well too.

I'm thinking more of 6/7/8/9 batsmen ATM, rather than top order batsmen.
With India needing 24 runs to avoid the follow on, the last man Hirwani (who cant bat to save his life) came in and had to stand at the non-striker's end for the four balls of the over which was being bowled.

Kapil, the batsman at the other end, hit each of the four deliveries for six. The follow on was saved and Hirwani was promptly out to the first ball of the next over !!

There can be few instances of a better hitting of sixes when most needed.

Kapil also bowled a maiden over (last of the innings) or gave just one run in the last over of a county limited overs game to win the match by one run. Again one of the most remarkable tight last overs in first class cricket.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZTailender said:
[/Kiwi bias]
Adding to that, I'd like Chris Harris. Sure he's getting on a bit, but if he's still there when it comes down to the last over he is VERY difficult to contain and plays the most ridiculous shots.

I certainly acknowledge that there are better (Hussey, Symonds and Razzaq are IMO the best late-innings hitters in the world at the moment), but nothing wrong with a bit of bias. While I'm at it I might as well throw McCullum in too, as long as they keep bowling short stuff on the off side to him he'll keep tonking it over cover.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Symonds or Pietersen, if they are set, are probably the most likely bets in my opinion. Razzaq is also a good shout.

Hussey's a very fine ODI batsman and quite capable of hitting a last ball six, but there's a few guys I'd back ahead of him to do it. If it was a last ball four (or six), I'd go Hussey comfortably.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
javed miandad

if only the supersub rule still stood

lose a wicket on the 49.5th over on purpose and bring him out

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well at the moment, it has to be either SRT or Pietersen for me

All time, Gilchrist, Richards or Brian Lara, when they're in form.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Good question, a lot of candidates, but i think most, probably all of them would choke. I would turn to Andy Symonds.

Chubb

International Regular
Goughy said:
The first question must be, has it been done before and if so by who?

Of the top of my head I can think of Miandad (Ind vs Pak) and Brendan Taylor this year vs Bangladesh.

So of current players the answer is obviously Brendan Taylor. He has shown he can.

EDIT- YouTube footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipaQ_JUDA4U
Interesting to see CWebbers chirping in the comments :p
thankyou for showing me that.... you really have to support Zim to understand just how fantastic watching that feels.