• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Langer's letter to Bradman and his reply

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Don would have been an anti-vac. He clearly didn't care much for death.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Langer is such a cringey dude. Massive sycophant. I like the Don's response.

Could imagine Langer being the way he is wanting the Don to become his "special mentor" or some such **** so a few years down the line there could be a TV special about how the Don specially helped Langer become the batsman blah blah...

The Don's response "I've already made a few videos and books. Have a look. Get back and across to medium pace. Stay off the darts. Use your brain and work it out".

Perfect.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While in this instance we can have some sympathy for Braddles as Langer is a bit of a shmuck and he was old af but when Harvey indirectly asked him what he was doing wrong on the Invincibles Tour, Bradman basically told him to git gud and not get caught. Strange man.

the big bambino

International Captain
It’s an interesting counter narrative to Bradman the arrogant. He gave players the credit they could work things out themselves and knew their game and craft better than any advice he could give them.

Lindwall said he made his points obliquely. He remembers the time he was bowling to Edrich and Bradman said “do you want your man at square there? Lindwall didn’t realise Bradman was inviting a question: Why? Instead Lindwall shrugged his shoulders, left the field in place, bowled and Edrich skied a catch wide of his fieldsman. Lindwall now asked Bradman where he should put him and Bradman replied “too late, he won’t hit it there again.” I think Harvey did ask or was so overawed had someone approach Bradman for him. His advice was not to hit it in the air as often. Simple, obvious and effective and really all that needed saying. Bradman was simply saying that Harvey was good enough and had enough shots to make runs without going aerial. Seems he was a man that trusted his players talents even more than they did.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
While in this instance we can have some sympathy for Braddles as Langer is a bit of a shmuck and he was old af but when Harvey indirectly asked him what he was doing wrong on the Invincibles Tour, Bradman basically told him to git gud and not get caught. Strange man.
Seems like sound advice - not hitting in the air as much