• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lance Gibbs - underrated

BazBall21

International Regular
Another underrated player appreciation post, this time Lance Gibbs.

Despite a great career, Gibbs doesn’t get a great deal of hype. I think he suffers a bit from suspicions that he was a negative bowler to the extent of not being a match-winner; but in actual fact he has plenty of match-winning performances to his name and they came in a variety of conditions. He combined this attacking potency in helpful conditions with a famous knack of keeping it extremely tight on unhelpful surfaces.

He had the luxury of playing in a great side, but had the disadvantages of playing mostly on very flat pitches and obviously also had to do without DRS.

As well as the body of work, becoming the top wicket taker of all time by the end of his career, he has a balanced distribution of wickets, having a great tour of Australia in the famous Benaud-Worrell series, performing very well in England and at home, as well as great returns from the subcontinent.

Not saying he is without his flaws. SR is high even for the era, struggled in NZ and I think he would have to reduce the average level of flight offered if he was to bowl today, but I would say he is probably the least flawed out of the contingent of class spinners of the time: Gibbs, Chandra, Underwood, Bedi, Prasana etc.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His record is excellent considering he played on pitches which Sobers though would kill cricket in the Caribbean. Very long career which hides how potent he was in the first half of his career. After as many tests as Laker he had more wickets. Being a containing off spinner who did the donkey work on benign pitches in cricket's dullest era can't have helped his reputation either. Kinda like Lyon, I suppose. Not exciting but you realise the value of a bowler like that when Boycott chases 215 in 50 overs and a bit against your lot. You'd have to do a lot of era adjusting to show his true worth and pretty average = good deceives everyone.

BazBall21

International Regular
His record is excellent considering he played on pitches which Sobers though would kill cricket in the Caribbean. Very long career which hides how potent he was in the first half of his career. After as many tests as Laker he had more wickets. Being a containing off spinner who did the donkey work on benign pitches in cricket's dullest era can't have helped his reputation either. Kinda like Lyon, I suppose. Not exciting but you realise the value of a bowler like that when Boycott chases 215 in 50 overs and a bit against your lot. You'd have to do a lot of era adjusting to show his true worth and pretty average = good deceives everyone.
Yeah, Gibbs is an undervalued hero of WI cricket. Patiently toiling hours on end Test match in Test match out on horrendously flat pitches in the continent that became traditionally the graveyard for spin bowling. And yeah I have made the Gibbs/Lyon link before, though I view Gibbs ahead and probably as a top 10 spinner of all time.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Gibbs is an undervalued hero of WI cricket. Patiently toiling hours on end Test match in Test match out on horrendously flat pitches in the continent that became traditionally the graveyard for spin bowling. And yeah I have made the Gibbs/Lyon link before, though I view Gibbs ahead and probably as a top 10 spinner of all time.
Gibbs = Kumble for me.

BazBall21

International Regular
He should get knighted like other Carribbean players did.
A legendary Test Cricketer and an important figure in West Indies cricket history. Definitely deserves a knighthood, more than Boris who is likely to win one if Truss beats Sunak.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
He should get knighted like other Carribbean players did.
imo no, lets be real they’ve been giving out knighthoods so freely over there lately, 7 in the last decade, really? Also he isn’t Barbadian or Antiguan or Clive Lloyd so its unlikely.