• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kusal Perera tests positive for banned substance, out of NZ tour

brockley

International Captain
I just remember when Asif got caught for doping twice,oh and the opium in the UAE.Then got done for match fixing.
I won't say what I heard,just say there is rules that need to be followed ask the runner Gatlin.
There is always those who choose to bluff the system.

The Sri Lankan Board want to exhonerate him now and get him back playing,shows where they are at.
Sorry just plain cynical,reminds me of Robbie O'davis guilty for doping and admitting it on Channel 9,and Sterlo had 2 counsel him to watch his words closely.

It ended Duncan Spencers' career,what a natural talent he was.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
I think a ointment to fix a mosquito bite to produce,levels of a steroid is so so funny.Couldn't he have come up with a better line.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you guys shocked that more players not getting caught these days considering all the power hitters batsman in world cricket, i am not saying Kusal is guilty or anything. But steroids really do help batsman to get more power on shots like the baseball hitters.
ugh

there's about 5 things really wrong with this post

this is already true
rubbish

Soccer, Tennis, Cricket, AFL, Golf etc. all have virtually zero use of PEDs, especially any that will negatively affect health

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Soccer has a huge problems with PEDs. I went to school with 5 professional footballers and it is rampant and basically ignored.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly as if on queue they intereviewed Tim Southee on the biggest media giant of our times, ONE Network news, for his views on the matter. Why they went to him I don't know but he is the sort of person you do go to for these questions it appears.

Tim: "Yeah - whenever you are unsure be it a medication or a treatment product just ask the physio or the trainer. It isn't worth the risk."

ITSTL that the trainer and physio are expected to know everything but perhaps the NZ team set up has made it part of their job description.

The SL coach sounded a bit clueless about the whole thing and didn't reference a breakdown in process. His response was honest but slipshod and it won't be long before there is a recurrence.
Actually this is a recurrence. Upul Tharanga was tested positive for steroids (prednisolone) which was allegedly added to his medication by Ayurvedic practitioner.

In SL only allopathic medicine is tightly regulated, and crooks are in plenty practising ayurvedic medicine. Some times over the counter medications do have steroids added to them. Kusal is not a village boy who is ignorant like Amir or Asif of Pakistan. He was educated in the premier school of the country, and should be able to understand that he should only go to practitioners named by the Sports Medicine unit.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a ointment to fix a mosquito bite to produce,levels of a steroid is so so funny.Couldn't he have come up with a better line.
Possible if occlusive dressings was used. A polythene film on a surface with clobetasol would give similar effects to oral streroids.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually this is a recurrence. Upul Tharanga was tested positive for steroids (prednisolone) which was allegedly added to his medication by Ayurvedic practitioner.

In SL only allopathic medicine is tightly regulated, and crooks are in plenty practising ayurvedic medicine. Some times over the counter medications do have steroids added to them. Kusal is not a village boy who is ignorant like Amir or Asif of Pakistan. He was educated in the premier school of the country, and should be able to understand that he should only go to practitioners named by the Sports Medicine unit.
lol wut

why would prednisolone be banned? Makes no sense. How is it going to help your performance, unless you're really sick?

I googled this apparently corticosteroids are banned by WADA but not by NCAA (which is irrelevant to cricket) I guess

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Possible if occlusive dressings was used. A polythene film on a surface with clobetasol would give similar effects to oral streroids.
lol what, that's a corticosteroid, is it really banned? Not the same thing as a PED.

brockley

International Captain
Apparently the tests we're done earlier than the excuse of a mosqito and oitnment,,in Cricinfo.Wonder what story comes up next,we should run a comp to come up with what they will say next.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
lol wut

why would prednisolone be banned? Makes no sense. How is it going to help your performance, unless you're really sick?

I googled this apparently corticosteroids are banned by WADA but not by NCAA (which is irrelevant to cricket) I guess
Apparently prednisolone has some common metabolites with with anabolic steroids and can interfere with the assay. That may be the reason to ban it. BTW, there was an Indian player (Uthappa) who played while on steroids for a kidney ailment, and he was allowed to play since his medications were informed to ICC.

Even a player having a pot could interfere with assay. What ever they do they have to keep their sports medicine bodies informed of their actions.