• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kohli vs MS Dhoni

Who is better?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That doesn't really matter because Kohli has been Bradmanning it for a few years in ODIs, although Rohit got close to him this year.

Dhoni wasn't really ahead of the rest by a big margin at any stage as far as I can recollect.
Dhoni was hugging #1 ODI batsman ranking for at least 2 straight year and won ICC ODI cricketer of the year twice in a row. So he was bossing it at one time. Kohli has probably equalled or exceeded that probably

Gob

International Coach
This thread is not really fair on Dhoni. Kohli is at his peak, while Dhoni's best days are behind him (think Ponting circa 2012).

Batting in ODIs is far easier today than it was even five years ago. Players all around the world are putting up monster numbers. Dhoni was ahead of his contemporaries by about the same amount as Kohli is today, but he had the keeping and captaincy strings to his bow that both made him more valuable (as I said, I don't rate Kohli's captaincy much). Dhoni also performed in the only World Cup win India have had in the last 30 years. Kohli's world cup numbers are ordinary compared to his contemporaries.

If you asked me to pick a player right now it's easily Kohli. If you asked me to pick a player based on the weight, it's Dhoni.
Id say Inzimam slightly ahead of Ranatunge

akilana

International 12th Man
Dhoni between 2008 and the end of 2014 (his most favourable run) averaged right on 60. Basically tying with de Villiers during that time period.

Kohli since 2013 (his most favourable run) averages 66, which puts him 6-7 runs clear of de Villiers, Sangakkara, Sharma and Taylor during the time period.

At best, Kohli is therefore around 10% better than his contemporaries, while Dhoni is level with them. As an all round cricketer, Dhoni's better captaincy and world cup performance easily makes up the gap.

Even if we do concede that Kohli is better relatively, at this stage Dhoni doesn't deserve to be considered far behind at all Kohli.
Great argument in favour of Dhoni. He is a shoe in for the lower middle order spot ahead of Bevan.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Kohli is the least aggressive batsman among top tier batsmen.

Kohli's stats when batting first is not that impressive..
51 at 92
Dhoni's stats still looks better 50 at 94

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great argument in favour of Dhoni. He is a shoe in for the lower middle order spot ahead of Bevan.
That depends on whether you're already picking Gilchrist. Bevan's a better batsman than Dhoni so if you're picking Dhoni over him it's for his keeping and captaincy. It's basically the same argument as Kohli vs Dhoni.

Jack1

International Debutant

51 at 92
Kohli anchors the innings, you are comparing two different roles. Kohli bats when there's more pressure on the team, the role and the position. The lower you bat the easier in limited overs in my view regardless of whether you are batting first or second. The field gets completely spread towards the end and the fielding team (plus the bowlers) begin to tire. If Kohli batted in Dhoni's position he would come in with gaps everywhere, he would be striking over 100 and averaging well over 60 probably. As it is Kohli averages 60 anyway with a 93 SR. I'd wager more like 105 SR and 70 average in Dhoni's role. You can agree with me or not. Doesn't bother me too much.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain

51 at 92
You are making the same argument that kohli fans make, just trying to draw the opposite conclusion. He has great stats in chases and slightly lesser stats in setting.

Jack1

International Debutant
You are making the same argument that kohli fans make, just trying to draw the opposite conclusion. He has great stats in chases and slightly lesser stats in setting.
Difference between Kohli and Dhoni is Kohli doesn't block half the deliveries he faces in the last 10 overs, if he's still in at that stage. :laugh:

Logan

U19 Captain
An record average of 60 at a SR of 93

More than 20+ centuries while chasing

A century every 5.2 innings

How some people are even thinking about picking Dhoni is beyond me?

Jack1

International Debutant
An record average of 60 at a SR of 93

More than 20+ centuries while chasing

A century every 5.2 innings

How some people are even thinking about picking Dhoni is beyond me?
Probably jealousy and other stuff. Kohli has a very dominant personality. He’s the best player in ODI history without a doubt voting for Dhoni instead is disingenuous I feel.