• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knockout Stage - General Discussion

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wales
Australia (won 5 of the last 6 against the Saffies)
England
ABs

Final a battle of the sheep-shaggers with the southern hemisphere mob winning pretty handily after a tight first 50 or so

JBH001

International Regular
Ireland
England
South Africa
New Zealand

AB/South Africa v Ireland final.

I hope Australia goes down well, they need parity up front to do anything.

Meridio

International Regular
Have been trying to persuade my flatmates to go to one of the quarters this weekend, but had no luck (they're all students and say they can't afford it). Both games would be good to go to and are hard to pick, but if the weather stays as it has been all week here in Wellington it's hard to see Australia getting up.

Anyway, had previously been thinking an NZ-France final was on the cards, resulting in endless articles about history repeating itself etc., but they're looking decidedly rubbish. So are England, mind, but for them playing well doesn't seem to be a prerequisite to winning.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
ABs havenamed their squad for the Argentina QF with Dagg, Guildford and Kahui all unavailable to various injuries. That means SBW plays on the wing and opens up a bench spot for Cruden. Forwards pick themselves.
Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Owen Franks, Brad Thorn, Sam Whitelock, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Piri Weepu, Colin Slade, Sonny Bill Williams, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Cory Jane, Mils Muliaina

Replacements: Andrew Hore, Ben Franks, Ali Williams, Victor Vito, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Isaia Toeava

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Decided to cough up for a ticket to the NZ-Argentina game. In the cheap(ish) seats, so I hope the weather's better on Sunday than it is today. :unsure:
Weather's looking pretty good for Auckland over the weekend so you might be in luck. Wellington expected to get some rain on Saturday for Wales vs Ireland but be fine for the Sunday match.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I believe that France will get up over England primarily because they have the better kicker. Discuss...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't expect to see Cruden on the bench so soon.
Had any of Dagg/Guildford/Kahui been available I have my doubts whether Cruden would've been included, as the injuries to all of those players might've forced the selectors hand to include Cruden on the bench.
I believe that France will get up over England primarily because they have the better kicker. Discuss...
Thats a big call after France's rather woeful performance against Tonga. They've really struggled to find any form this tournament - even their victories over Japan and Canada were in doubt until late in those matches. Yachvili's certainly been kicking well though Toby Flood's playing at 12 and should Wilkinson continue to struggle with his goalkicking then I envisage Flood taking over. In saying all of that, I still think France have a reasonable chance. England have faced an old Argentina side, a very disappointing Scottish outfit and some minnows with little attacking prowess in their group, and I think they're vulnerable on defence against sides who actually have the ability to finish try scoring moves. France on their day certainly fit that bill. England's penalty count has also been terrible throughout the tournament and in a possible low-scoring match (what matches involving England are high scoring? :ph34r:) that could be crucial.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Feels like you are sitting on the fence a bit but leaning towards England.

I just don't see England scoring many tries - and I see the French lifting for the affair.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Feels like you are sitting on the fence a bit but leaning towards England.

I just don't see England scoring many tries - and I see the French lifting for the affair.
Yeh I'm a bit hesistant to call a French victory the match after they lose to Tonga. I guess I'm giving the French credit based on their performances against the ABs in matches they supposedly had no chance in, although their odds are a bit better against a slightly out of sorts England side.

Looking forward to the matches tonight, tipping Wales to overcome Ireland after a series of good performances in their group matches.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have tipped Wales to win as well. But really Ireland did beat Aussie so we should be listing them as favourites.

My reason for tipping them was their win over Samoa - although they only won by 7 points they seemed to have the game under control for the most part.

What do you think of this number 12 for Wales surely the second best 12 in the world - better than Sonny Bill for my money.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I have tipped Wales to win as well. But really Ireland did beat Aussie so we should be listing them as favourites.

My reason for tipping them was their win over Samoa - although they only won by 7 points they seemed to have the game under control for the most part.

What do you think of this number 12 for Wales surely the second best 12 in the world - better than Sonny Bill for my money.
Jamie Roberts has really impressed me this tournament, such a powerful runner. I think Nonu's been superb as well. SBW offers something different to both Roberts and Nonu with his offloads and trickery, so its a bit of a difficult comparision.

Wales perhaps a bit fortunate to lead at halftime, besides their breakout which lead to Williams; try in the first 5 minutes they've hardly made progress into the Irish half. Ireland on the other hand, admittedly with the wind, have certainly looked the more dominant side on attack although seem to suffering with the problem of a number of the NH sides whereby they create territorial pressure but can't score from it.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Welsh have dominated the last half an hour or so. If they'd made their kicks they'd be out of sight.