• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kippax's Firebirds and Wellington Club Cricket Thread

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Stewart Rhodes, Cribb's gift to us from the Blue Mountains. The production values he laid on for sleepy nocturnal Kiwis to enjoy were quite nice there I thought, but the length of the videos (predictably) only yielded 28 subs.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Can someone tell me if they've come across a major pictures/screenshots host that promises to never delete the files? This thread will become a very lousy scrapbook 15 years from now if I don't pay attention to that factor.

All formats, both premier divisions:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Outstanding how did I miss this? Hilarious stuff and a good insight to Rachin Ravindra. One a true legend and the other in the making.

I'll be spending this week's evening watching every episode.

Last edited:

nzfan

Can someone tell me if they've come across a major pictures/screenshots host that promises to never delete the files? This thread will become a very lousy scrapbook 15 years from now if I don't pay attention to that factor.

All formats, both premier divisions:
The usual suspects on the chart but where is Raki Weerasundara? I'd only really pay much interest to the top group i.e. Premier side comp which consists of 6 top teams from Wellington. I still get asked to come and play for couple of clubs for their top side in the second division or what you call the Hazlett. I've hung my boot for nearly 8 years now. They must be struggling to put a team together. I feel the club scene in the second group is quite dire in Wellington. There used to be a time when club cricket was actually tough. You had to prepare well enough to go out and play.

Flem274*

123/5
stephen murdoch has retired. was a good servant of welly for years before his season with the cantabs, and wellington missed him in the middle order imo. he probably should have played fc cricket long before he did given the grim state of the side he eventually made and immediately excelled in.

of course he will be best remembered for being an absolutely h4x world class opening batsman in icc 2011

The Hutt Rec

Excellent career from him, and I’m glad he went out on a high with some great form in his final two seasons at Canterbury, as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Murdoch is a weird case. He probably should have had a long FC career, especially since he didn't come into the Wellington side with talk of him having rapidly improved, but with talk of him being a stalwart of club cricket. He might've been Wellington Peter Ingram if they gave him a crack at it.

I'll always remember him for being the 8th best batsman in the world in the International Cricket Captain database of some such year after I compared it to my CPL thing. I should probably've tried to sell them my CPL thing.

Chewie

I'll always remember him for being the 8th best batsman in the world in the International Cricket Captain database of some such year after I compared it to my CPL thing. I should probably've tried to sell them my CPL thing.
A number of years ago when I was involved with the database (not the underlying abilities but the bowling types, aggression etc) we did discuss this and I did message the guy but never heard back

nzfan

Did the Firebirds Yellow vs. Firebirds Black two-day warm-up go into the vault like it has in a few previous seasons, nzfan?

Any chance you could right-click while watching a wicket, post the https://pooch.azureedge.net/______1_001_01.mp4 type of link in here?
Nope Kippax, they didn't. I watched couple of hours of the first game and maybe an hour of the second game. There were 2 day practice games. Conway looked gold as usual, hit some lovely looking shots. Blundell didn't get many but looked good. Ravindra didn't play the first game I suppose but saw him bat a bit in the second. Played some serious shots, breath taking off drives followed by some silken drives straight. Bowling wise Sears bowled like a beast couple of overs. Hit Allen in the ribs and caused some panic moments. To be fair this is the first season for Allen and finding his feet on these very demanding tracks early on in the season. Jamie Gibon hit some bombs. Bennett, Newton etc as usual quite standard hitting good areas. Looks like they are fairly well oiled at the moment. The bowling will take care of itself. As for batting you need more than just two or three guys firing consistently. Chances are those two or three guys will go missing for fair number of games given the Black Caps and A schedule.

Need some guys from the next rank to stand up and be noticed, particularly in batting.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
1603702130907.png
1603703002842.png

A quick look at Hutt District's team just to confirm Felix Murray is now more likely to crop up on a Wgtn 'A' team sheet than a CD 'A' one, on the other hand Fergus Lellman threw his lot back in with ND and is getting ND 'A' games. No stretch of the legs in between law exams for Sears. I wouldn't have minded a Callum McLachlan (last summer's double-ton slayer of Hamish Bennett in one game) vs. Ben Sears duel in that one, but it didn't happen.

1603702697395.png

1603702379502.png

Last edited:

nzfan

Felix Murray still plays for CD A. Couple of new names for HDCC at the top I see. Been hearing fair bit about Jesse Tashkoff, the NZ U19s captain from the last edition of U19 WC.

Nick Greenwood is from the unofficial Ravindra's old man's coaching school. So is Chander Ravi.

Peter Younghusband among wickets. Wonder if he gets to play for Firebirds consistently at some point in time. He's been around for ages but barely gets any game time.

Another promising pacer Ryan Jackson now playing for HDCC, that is a good grab.