• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kenyan Coach suggests two-tier system

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kenya still hopeful of Test status

I think this is a great idea. For a World Cup Semi-finalist (no matter how they got there) to only play 3 international matches in 11 months is a disgrace. If they want teams seeking test status to be competitve when they enter the test arena they need to give them exposure. Having Zimbabwe, Kenya and Bangladesh play each other regularly, it would help.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:

I think this is a great idea. For a World Cup Semi-finalist (no matter how they got there) to only play 3 international matches in 11 months is a disgrace. If they want teams seeking test status to be competitve when they enter the test arena they need to give them exposure. Having Zimbabwe, Kenya and Bangladesh play each other regularly, it would help.
What's the VLAS ? Vangipurrapu Laxman appeciation society ?

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Mister Wright said:

I agree. This seems like the only way Zimbabwe and Bangladesh are going to improve their cricket, instead of helping batsmen raise thier averages!

chris.hinton

International Captain
could be like this

Premier Division

Australia, India, England, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka

Division 1
New Zealand, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Kenya

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
New Zealand are #3 in the world, Chris.

Two tiers will increase the gap between the élite and the rest, not reduce it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the world of Kenya after the World Cup, but after seeing them in the Carib Beer Cup and tracking their performance, I've lost a fair deal of respect for the level of their game. They've really played some attrocious cricket.

That said, the fielding has been superb.

Craig

World Traveller
Well they need more cricket, and I guess in the Carib Beer Cup is showing their inexperience.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
New Zealand are #3 in the world, Chris.
I believe the loss to Pakistan has dropped us to #5 now :(

Still, enough to be included in Chris' so-called "premier league". Some people can't get used to NZ actually being any good :rolleyes:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a 2nd teir would just increase the gap, a competition between the top 6 or so non test playing nations would be a better idea for mine, giving them better match practice. either that or integrate them into domestic competition (eg USA and Canada in the west indies)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Well they need more cricket, and I guess in the Carib Beer Cup is showing their inexperience.
It's not just the batting collapses and largely ineffective bowling, they've also displayed some blatant time-wasting and have seemed reluctant to walk after being dismissed. To top it off, the batting has been very negative at times when it should be the opposite.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hard Harry said:
I believe the loss to Pakistan has dropped us to #5 now :(

Still, enough to be included in Chris' so-called "premier league". Some people can't get used to NZ actually being any good :rolleyes:
Not in the rankings that matter! :)

Age - Six Nations Challenge - Next month in the UAE

UAE, Namibia, Scotland, Holland, Canada, USA (I think it's those six - could be Denmark).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its hard to see it happening, but I think Bangladesh should at least get intigrated into the Ranji trophy before they suffer any more international matches...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO Kenya would do well to be accepted into any domestic competition that will have them.
First-Class and List-A cricket is just what their players need (along with a chance to net regularly, of course) and I think ICC could do well to encourage Boards to incorparate them.
Bangladesh would clearly also benefit from the same, though naturally they're never going to be "dropped" from the ODI and Test lists.
But certainly, in my mind, their players are not good enough to have ODI status, and probably not Test either.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's not just that simple.

I hope that Kenya does get more FC cricket in order that they improve, but I also hope that they are not invited back to the West Indies domestic competition until they are a reasonable force.

It's more harm than good to have poor teams joining a domestic competition like the West Indies, because there's such limited action for players already and players don't improve by smashing poor attacks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know what you mean, Liam - the Kenyans simply need more practice facility and opportunity.
Presumably none of their players are full-time pros.
A domestic competition of First-Class status could be designed by someone who knew the country and knew what they were doing. The question is, are they eligible for First-Class and List-A one-day domestic games without Test status?