• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kenya stripped of ODI status

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Explain further please.
In the case where there are quotas such as two coloured players in junior representative teams, the positive "role model" and "exposure" effects cancel out the reduced opportunities to whites.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
In the case where there are quotas such as two coloured players in junior representative teams, the positive "role model" and "exposure" effects cancel out the reduced opportunities to whites.
I would disagree strongly. The best thing for a sport would be to have the best XI players playing at every level.

Having a Muslim in an Indian squad could inspire many indian muslims. But that wouldnt mean they are to be taken into the squad if they dont deserve a place. Earned spots like the ones by Zaheer Khan, Md. Kaif (md Azharudding and Kirmani among others in the past) will be far more respected.

Also to note is that Parsis, Marwaris havent had a huge impact on Indian cricket. So do we just let them play in the teams so that they inspire crowds? no.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would never agree at Test level, but at junior levels where it doesn't actually matter, the good outweighs the bad.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
I would never agree at Test level, but at junior levels where it doesn't actually matter, the good outweighs the bad.
At junior levels its all the more crucial at dampening spirits.

Many of the regional teams or state teams in India have more of the players of that place in the junior levels like more bengaless in the club level at west bengal and more punjabis in punjab.

It is a discouraging aspect for the players of the other castes. Like a friend of mine who played club level cricket.

At all levels, bias in selection on race/colour etc should be avoided at any cost.

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
In post-apartheid South Africa, it's necessary to attempt to rebuild the grass-roots.
Provide them with all the best training facilities if you want. Final selection should always be based on merit.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Kenya hardly participated in any one dayers anyway in recent times?? (Outside the world cups)
Official ODI status, but nobody plays against them, so this really make much of a difference?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Deja moo said:
Provide them with all the best training facilities if you want. Final selection should always be based on merit.
Marius, some examples would be appreciated here ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
i think some of the rebels have returned yesterday also, then y it should be done to Zim???
Because even before the rebels, they were palpably not up to Test-match or ODI standard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Standard of performance is not the sole criterion for Test status, and I hope it never will be.
Even on that criterion Zimbabwe fail the test miserably.