• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil, Vaas, or Streak? (Best bowler)

Best bowler: Kapil, Chaminda, or Heath?

• Total voters

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Vaas is well rated as a fast bowler in tests. Obviously there is about 8 - 10 blokes ahead of him in Asian block as test seamers (Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Asif, Shoaib, Safraz, Kapil and Bumrah on top of my head). But where Vaas' greatness is in ODI cricket. He is only second to Wasim in ODIs. Bumrah may go pass him in the future, but meh, a medium fast seamer getting amongst top 10 ODI bowlers is crazy.
Vaas second only to Wasim in ODIs? I know you live in fantasy land, but Waqar is also ahead quantity and quality-wise. If we stick to Asian pace bowlers then Shoaib was also better. Let's not touch the lengthy non-Asian list.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaas second only to Wasim in ODIs? I know you live in fantasy land, but Waqar is also ahead quantity and quality-wise. If we stick to Asian pace bowlers then Shoaib was also better. Let's not touch the lengthy non-Asian list.
Vaas had a long long career compared to Shoaib and Waqar. Waqar took wickets sure, but Vaas was one of the most econimical bowlers ever to come out of sub continent.

A recent statistical analysis did place him above Waqar.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Larsen was one of my fav. but he was dependant upon conditions and mostly bowled outside of field restrictions, had he been made to bowl during first ten overs during 90s when the innings really started to explode his stats could have been different, Vaas was vey good in Odi's at one time just before 96 wc Mark Taylor had said that he was so good that he was the only bowler in the world who could bowl a maiden over to Sachin although the only bowler that i saw taming Tendulkar really in odis during mid-90s was Fannie de Villiers.

Starfighter

Vaas had a long long career compared to Shoaib and Waqar. Waqar took wickets sure, but Vaas was one of the most econimical bowlers ever to come out of sub continent.

A recent statistical analysis did place him above Waqar.
Posting an Anantha number torture really isn't helping your case. The weightings of the various factors (and is some cases they adjustments) have to be arbitrarily chosen. I put little weight on longevity - being mediocre for a long time doesn't make you better.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Posting an Anantha number torture really isn't helping your case. The weightings of the various factors (and is some cases they adjustments) have to be arbitrarily chosen. I put little weight on longevity - being mediocre for a long time doesn't make you better.
Longevity will only matter when it's beneficial for your argument. I get the picture.

And yes, i would take a statistical exercise every day of the week, twice on sundays, over subjective nonsense.

Starfighter

Longevity will only matter when it's beneficial for your argument. I get the picture.

And yes, i would take a statistical exercise every day of the week, twice on sundays, over subjective nonsense.
You haven't the intellectual ability to understand that statistical analyses can be subjective and how.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Am I hallucinating or Vaas really had decent pace? Wasn't he about as fast as Srinath?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am I hallucinating or Vaas really had decent pace? Wasn't he about as fast as Srinath?
The latter part of his career he was real slow. Like medium pace slow, even when he bowled seam-up.

I think he was probably quite a bit sharper when he was younger but I don't think that phase lasted very long

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The latter part of his career he was real slow. Like medium pace slow, even when he bowled seam-up.

I think he was probably quite a bit sharper when he was younger but I don't think that phase lasted very long
Srinath was terrifying in mid 90s. He has rearranged at least couple of faces. Vaas was no where close to that pace.