• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis Vs Sobers

The better allrounder?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
Kallis for me, is one of the two best cricketers of the last twenty years.(Along with S Pollock)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis for me, is one of the two best cricketers of the last twenty years.(Along with S Pollock)
Not far from the truth imo...and yet a lot of wise judges wouldn't have either in their top 10 *facepalm*
Hmm, I can see the reasons for saying that. At the same time, I also see reasons for rating them behind Tendulkar, Lara, Warne, Murali, McGrath, Ambrose, Akram, Ponting etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Kallis is the better cricketer though, because along with being a comparable batsman he is a solid bowler and decent fielder.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you're accessing Kallis as a 'test cricketer' as opposed to merely a 'test batsman', you'd have to rate him comfortingly ahead of the likes of Tendulkar & Ponting, it's fairly simple. His 269 Test wickets @ 31 blows away absolutely any advantage even the most devout Ponting or Tendulkar fans could credit them for batting alone. Not to mention his slip fielding, which is at least equal to Ponting's.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you're accessing Kallis as a 'test cricketer' as opposed to merely a 'test batsman', you'd have to rate him comfortingly ahead of the likes of Tendulkar & Ponting, it's fairly simple. His 269 Test wickets @ 31 blows away absolutely any advantage even the most devout Ponting or Tendulkar fans could credit them for batting alone. Not to mention his slip fielding, which is at least equal to Ponting's.
Yeah, this is true. He's the great all-rounder of this generation.

kingkallis

International Coach
11650 test runs @ 56.82 with 38 tons
269 test wickets @ 31.95 with the SR of 67.6
163 fantastic catches

This cant be a joke.

People usually dont put him in the category of Lara, Sachin, Ponting.
People usually consider him to be in the good players category along with Hayden, Dravid, Inzamam, Yousuf, Chanderpaul, Sangakkara, Jayawardene etc but the fact is that he surely deserves a place in 1st tier along with those 3 awesome batters.

You cant single out a player just cause his SR is below 50.

As a complete cricketer he surely sits next to Sir Garfield Sobers.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yep, and the exact same logic applies when comparing Pollock to the best bowlers of his era.

Of course it's not foolproof logic, but it's such a big difference (between a bowler taking 270 wickets vs a non bowler/a batsman averaging over 30 vs a tailender) that for me it's beyond compelling.

Yet I've well and truly accepted that 90+% of people, from casual fans to experts, would rank Tendulkar>Kallis or Murali/McGrath/Warne>Pollock as cricketers. Both strike me as utterly absurd but that is the prevailing view and unlikely to change.

thierry henry

International Coach
Another thing about Kallis....for years he has been criticised for not bowling enough, not bowling enough in tough situations, not being a "real" all-rounder etc, yet to this day he is still bowling and taking wickets.

bagapath

International Captain
You guys are forcing me to re-assess Kallis :)
i had only one grouse against him, statistically, and that black mark is gone now.

of course,i find him boring to watch. but that cant change the fact that he is among the top 10 cricketers of all time to have played this game - on par with WG, sobey, beefy, immy, nuggets, kapsy etc.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
i had only one grouse against him, statistically, and that black mark is gone now.

of course,i find him boring to watch. but that cant change the fact that he is among the top 10 cricketers of all time to have played this game - on par with WG, sobey, beefy, immy, nuggets, kapsy etc.
Who the **** are they? :unsure: