• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kallis Vs Dravid

Who's better?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure we've had this one before. Kallis fan, personally, mainly because it's so much harder to bat in South Africa than it is in India.

Riggins

International Captain
Voted when I'd only seen the poll question, before I saw as test batsmen.

Still think Kallis comes out ahead by a distinct but not large amount.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Pretty sure we've had this one before. Kallis fan, personally, mainly because it's so much harder to bat in South Africa than it is in India.
i guess stats won't bear me out, but i think that players find it easier to bat wherever they are most familiar with. generally speaking.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's difficult to argue for Dravid unless one puts huge importance to batting in English conditions.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid's got the higher quality runs....
Plus, he's saved counless games through just sheer defending, which doesn't show up in the avg, does it?
and the difficulty of batting on southafrican wickets largely depends on the bowlers you are facing tbh.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis has done better than Dravid both in India and in South Africa.

Dravid has done better than Kallis only in swinging conditions.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i guess stats won't bear me out, but i think that players find it easier to bat wherever they are most familiar with. generally speaking.
Can't argue with that. But even so, if you play your home games in Saffa country you're at a pretty big disadvantage.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to take a closer look at their performances against the better sides, I've taken out WI, NZ, ZIMB, Bang (both have feasted on them quite a bit) as on average these four teams have had pretty ordinary attacks in the last 10 years or so...

Kallis- avg- 48.9
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Dravid- avg- 46.3

yes, kallis is ahead, but you have to take into account the fact that dravid has always had to face guys like donald, steyn, pollock and co, whereas kallis has had the luxury of facing indian bowlers....

Darvid's avg against SA- 33.8
Kallis avg against India- 72.0

Kallis' record against Aus in SA- 35.66
kinda backs up my point.
the difficulty of batting on southafrican wickets largely depends on the bowlers you are facing tbh.
Plus the fact that dravid has a superior away record and has saved/won more games than kallis, I feel dravid takes it overall.....

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
before anyone says that kallis scores more tons, i'd like to point out that dravid jointly holds the world record for the most 90s (10 of them!!)
kallis isn;t known for scoring big hundreds anyway so overall both are alot closer than most of you guys think....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Bigger question though is what prevents us from considering him a greater CRICKETER than a Tendulkar or a Lara? More I think about it, more I feel Kallis is a bloody superhuman. He is a pretty handy batsman AND bowler in any format that's thrown at him. Why no one gives him his due, myself included? Posterity will look at him with amazement.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dravid's got the higher quality runs....
Plus, he's saved counless games through just sheer defending, which doesn't show up in the avg, does it?
and the difficulty of batting on southafrican wickets largely depends on the bowlers you are facing tbh.
Whilst that's true, have a look at the home averages of his contemporaries such as ABdV. It really is an immense feat to be as good in SA as he is.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Stats alone dont portray greatness. Shaun Pollock had better stats than Shane Warne, but we consider only one of them as a great bowler.