• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

José Mário dos Santos Félix Mourinho

Whatcha think about him?

• WAG

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • WAC

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • indifferent

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Dolphin are just gay sharks

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hahaha really? Jeez, the United fans where you are sound like right pricks.
Nothing I've read on here gives that impression, mind, just in case someone gets the wrong idea.

It's just a general vibe I've picked up - people calling Barca overrated, Guardiola nothing special for taking a team of talented superstars to success last year and wanting them to fail just because they are tired of the Barca love-in. Nothing wrong with that, but comes across as a bit small-time.

And I bet these same people were hating Mourinho's guts when he was with Chelsea. Heck, he converted all the neutrals to Man Utd. fans in the '06-'07 season with his moaning and dour football, after all the money they wasted on the likes of Shevchenko.

Uppercut

I quite liked him when he was at Chelsea. But begrudgingly. And I loved to see him lose.

Personally I'd rather have seen Barca go through. I probably won't even watch an Inter-Bayern final but I'd be really looking forward to Barca-Bayern.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I quite liked him when he was at Chelsea. But begrudgingly. And I loved to see him lose.

Personally I'd rather have seen Barca go through. I probably won't even watch an Inter-Bayern final but I'd be really looking forward to Barca-Bayern.
Variety the spice off life about time English or Spanish sides misses out.

vcs

I was always hoping that Bayern would take it all, now I'm doing so even more fervently. :)

Van Gaal's team plays pretty good football, reminds me a bit of a prototypical Ferguson team actually. And Van Gaal created a brilliant Ajax team in '95, so I want him to get another Champions League, even though this one wouldn't be quite as monumental an achievement.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's just a general vibe I've picked up - people calling Barca overrated, Guardiola nothing special for taking a team of talented superstars to success last year and wanting them to fail just because they are tired of the Barca love-in. Nothing wrong with that, but comes across as a bit small-time.
I have to say I think that Barca are over-rated - no plan B whatsoever, a relatively shaky defence and when they play against a team that tries to disrupt them, they look pretty clueless. If there was any justice in the world, then the 6 trophies last year would've only been 3.

vcs

I have to say I think that Barca are over-rated - no plan B whatsoever, a relatively shaky defence and when they play against a team that tries to disrupt them, they look pretty clueless. If there was any justice in the world, then the 6 trophies last year would've only been 3.
See, this is exactly what I meant. :ph34r:

Seriously, it all depends on who is doing the rating. No one called them the reincarnation of Brazil's 1970 team and if they did, yes, that would be over-rating them. :) But you have to be a seriously good side to win the treble, scoring nearly 150 goals, and pleasing the neutrals along the way with your football, which is mesmerizing when it works, TBF. Also, the vast majority of the team comes from their academy, a very rare sight in modern football. They deserve massive credit for all of the above, and Guardiola deserves a lot of praise for getting Messi to perform consistently like the best player in the world, and Xavi like the best midfielder I can remember watching since Scholes and Zidane.

They did get a bit lucky against Chelsea in last years semis, and they were a bit unlucky this year, by the same token. The handball goal could have stood, Krkic missed an easy header, Julio Cesar made a brilliant save and Inter scored an offside goal in the first leg. All that said, Inter deserved to go through. Barcelona aren't as potent an all-round threat as they were last year, Ibrahimovic hasn't really fit into their system the way Eto'o did. But this tie was decided by very fine margins and you don't always get the luck.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And I bet these same people were hating Mourinho's guts when he was with Chelsea. Heck, he converted all the neutrals to Man Utd. fans in the '06-'07 season with his moaning and dour football, after all the money they wasted on the likes of Shevchenko.
He may be the special one but no one has the ability to do that.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't put together a decent team without an unlimited cheque-book, can't bring through a player from the youth system, and gets a bunch of superstars to play like Greece in Euro 2004. I hate his general footballing philosophy. Yeah, tactical genius. He can coach 11 men to defend brilliantly, I'll give him that.
Aside from the already cited Porto example, he also took the Portugese equivelant of Wigan to their highest ever finish in the league.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will always love him for the UEFA Cup Final in 2003.

And I HATE the way the press makes it as though it's always about him, win, lose or draw. I'd prefer the spotlight to be on the footballers, not the manager. Apparently, it's a "tactical masterclass" when he gets his side to defend with ten men, but would he have accepted defeat with grace if he had lost in a similar manner? No, he would have accused the other side of "parking the bus".
That's clever on the part of Mourinho: it takes the spotlight (and therefore pressure) off his players.

Last edited:

vcs

Will always love him for the UEFA Cup Final in 2003.

That's clever on the part of Mourinho: it takes the spotlight (and therefore pressure) off his players.
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :)

cpr

International Coach
I get the impression that Man Utd. fans are basking somewhat in Mourinho's reflected glory in this Champions League campaign, and I sense quite a bit of bitterness towards Barcelona for outclassing them last year. I also think there is an expectation among Man Utd. fans that he will eventually replace Ferguson, which has converted them into Inter/Mourinho fanboys by proxy. It's all a bit embarrassing TBH.

No bitterness for Barca outclassing us last year, we wasted the final, blew it completely. My dislike for Barca stretches back to the build up to the Cup Winners Cup final in 91, then of course their 4-0 drubbing they gave us back in 94 when the 4 (was it) foreigners rule robbed us of some good players (Gary Walsh in net ffs). Plus as stated in the past Real have always been my Spanish side due to a school friend who's family came from Madrid so he was a huge fan.

As much as I quite like Jose, I don't really want him at Utd due to his style of play, it just doesn't suit us, and I'd cry if we were to change to that. Love us or hate us, we play to win, we give all till the end, and will try and play creative attacking football.... Obviously there will be times where thats not possible/faesable (ie, hanging on with 10 men against Bayern....), but as a general consensus we play pretty good football..... Not really got a name that springs to mind for Fergie's successor as yet

vcs

No bitterness for Barca outclassing us last year, we wasted the final, blew it completely. My dislike for Barca stretches back to the build up to the Cup Winners Cup final in 91, then of course their 4-0 drubbing they gave us back in 94 when the 4 (was it) foreigners rule robbed us of some good players (Gary Walsh in net ffs). Plus as stated in the past Real have always been my Spanish side due to a school friend who's family came from Madrid so he was a huge fan.

As much as I quite like Jose, I don't really want him at Utd due to his style of play, it just doesn't suit us, and I'd cry if we were to change to that. Love us or hate us, we play to win, we give all till the end, and will try and play creative attacking football.... Obviously there will be times where thats not possible/faesable (ie, hanging on with 10 men against Bayern....), but as a general consensus we play pretty good football..... Not really got a name that springs to mind for Fergie's successor as yet
Yeah, agreed, you can criticize Fergie for many things but not United's approach to football. I hope they don't go down the Mourinho route just for results and trophies.

Uppercut

Mourinho's sides could play fantastic football. They just shut down when one up.

Indipper

State Regular
I believe Schmeichel was injured. Besides, you really think the foreigner rule hurt you more than Barcelona?

As for Mourinho, not a fan, but if he gets Inter the Champions League, I won't argue.

cpr

International Coach
Nah, Schmeichel was 'rested' for that one IIRC, remember him and Cantona (who was banned I think) sat in the stands. Might've robbed them of some good players too, granted, but their spanish backups were better than our English ones.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I believe Schmeichel was injured. Besides, you really think the foreigner rule hurt you more than Barcelona?

As for Mourinho, not a fan, but if he gets Inter the Champions League, I won't argue.
It did hurt English teams more because it counted Scottish, Welsh & Northern irish players as foreigners, these players have always been a backbone of English club sides.

Before the EU banned the four foreigners rule it did actually exist in domestic football as well, it was just that UK nationals weren't classed as foreigners by the English authorities.

I can see why they were classed as foreigners, obviously, but it is naive to think it never hurt English sides more than the rest.