• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

John Snow, Jeff Thomson or Andy Roberts ?

Who would you rate the best fast bowler from these 3 ?

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I've always wondered who was the best bowler from these 3.

They had many similarities :
- Have close bowling aggregates, averages, strike rates
- Debuted close to each other
- Terrified batsmen

Vote for 1 with reasons why

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thommo had a superweapon but did not know how to optimally use it. John Snow knew nothing.

Roberts was the original leader of the formidable West Indian attack. He didn't have the support the West Indian quicks later enjoyed. He wasn't just raw pace either and was more skillful than the other 2. Plus, he taught Holding the art of the craft that is fast bowling. Of the 3, I would have him in my team as he was the most complete bowler. Many like Barry Richards and Botham rate him as the most terrifying to face as well (taking nothing away from Thommo who was just as terrifying).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Snowy was a man of moods, and unlike Thommo and Roberts never had the benefit of another genuine quick to bowl with - had he had that chance cricket history might be different, but as it is I agree Roberts shades this comparison

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Wow ! looks like a runaway for Roberts.

Be aware that a fast bowler is more than just taking wickets.
He provides the fire, passion, aggression, impetus, morale-lifting behavior to his team (and morale-destruction of opponents)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Roberts overall, but facing Thommo's peak must've been as scary as anything in any sport ever.

Snow very good too.

Burgey

Roberts, Snow, Thomson career-wise.

Peak Thomson was better than peak Snow and Roberts. He was like Johnson 13/14 without helmets, on spicier pitches and probably a yard or so quicker. But he only bowled like it for 18 months-2 years or so.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roberts, Snow, Thomson career-wise.

Peak Thomson was better than peak Snow and Roberts. He was like Johnson 13/14 without helmets, on spicier pitches and probably a yard or so quicker. But he only bowled like it for 18 months-2 years or so.
Yep

Shoulder injury really reduced his explosiveness

I played at the same club as him in Brisbane and their keeper showed me where he used to stand for him when he first ventured north

Must've been close to 40 yards back

Snow is a very underrated bowler by many except those who faced him but Roberts clearly for mine

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Great thoughts. I voted for Thommo by the whoosh of the wind flying by the willow.
He will be remembered longer than others. Not so much for the tangible techniques of fast bowling - but for the bated breath and aura he was held under.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Snow is one of the most underrated English bowlers ever, was pretty much England's Lillee, not to mention having one of the best bowling actions of all time. Helping Imran Khan towards becoming the bowler that he became is also a massive plus. Lillee himself rated him high up on the pedestal of bowling greats (as far as I know)

trundler

Imran and Holding are roughly in the same tier as bowlers so that evens out with Roberts then.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Snow is one of the most underrated English bowlers ever, was pretty much England's Lillee, not to mention having one of the best bowling actions of all time. Helping Imran Khan towards becoming the bowler that he became is also a massive plus. Lillee himself rated him high up on the pedestal of bowling greats (as far as I know)
Largely true. Not sure about his bowling action, a bit bewildering, yet fitted him well. Imran's initial action was scratchy and awkward.
Then there's Thommo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Snowy will always have a special place in the hearts of any English cricket fan with even a vague interest in the history of our game. Our spearhead when we regained the urn crimside for the only time (I think) since Bodyline.

Another English talent who was badly handled too. I'm sure there's a Sports Science thesis waiting to be written on English cricket's inability to cope with any player who shows even a modicum of individuality.

Burgey

Yeah he should definitely toured in 74/75 barring injury. Was a terrible mistake.