• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson v Jimmy Anderson v Jimmy Anderson

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Awaiting the Anderson vs Mangoes thread before committing to a vote in any other.

Burgey

That and the "Would Jimmy Anderson make Jimmy Anderson's full strength side?" discussion.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is genuinely interesting because without knowing the specific stats, I would have said 2010-2013 hands down.

It wasn't very long ago at all that I was very confident in saying that Broad had overtaken him, and I feel his performances haven't been that amazing since then that his last period would be ranked above his 2010-2013 period, where IMO he was the clear standout bowler in the world not named Dale Steyn (which says very little, given that Steyn at that time was bowling himself into a potential ATG XI spot)

Last edited:

vcs

2010-13 IMO. Took wickets consistently against, on average, better batting lineups, and bowled series-winning spells in unfriendly conditions (India, Australia). Only real failure was SA at home in 2012 (I'm assuming Ashes 2013-14 is excluded).

TheJediBrah

How crap do batting line-ups look these days compared to the mid-2000s?

back then it seemed every side had 3-4 superstars and the rest were pretty good, these days most teams have 3-4 hackfrauds and if they're lucky 1-2 genuine quality players

morgieb

Yeah it's 2010-13 comfortably. The current Jimmy might have better stats, but hasn't done as much away from home.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How crap do batting line-ups look these days compared to the mid-2000s?

back then it seemed every side had 3-4 superstars and the rest were pretty good, these days most teams have 3-4 hackfrauds and if they're lucky 1-2 genuine quality players
This **** confuses me. Not what you wrote - but the fact of what you wrote. I don't rate all those 2000 players because I believe their bowling challenge was turds. Yet I feel the bowlers now are worse than then. I just can't figure it out, except to lament the death of test cricket. That is all it can be. Bowlers are crapper, but batsmen are crapper again, all of them messed up by short form cricket and intent

Gob

International Coach
This **** confuses me. Not what you wrote - but the fact of what you wrote. I don't rate all those 2000 players because I believe their bowling challenge was turds. Yet I feel the bowlers now are worse than then. I just can't figure it out, except to lament the death of test cricket. That is all it can be. Bowlers are crapper, but batsmen are crapper again, all of them messed up by short form cricket and intent
Bowlers are better now

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In this voting only 1 Jimmy Anderson can win and the other 2 will lose.

...this settles the fact that he's a loser overall

OverratedSanity

The only thing the early 2000s bowling had over today was the two greatest spinners ever... the rest of the field today is sooooo much better.

Spark

Global Moderator
To be fair, though, <completely wrong assumption that makes no sense> ==> "that makes no sense, Test cricket is dying!" is a staple of the genre.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Follow up question: which was the most hot?

Pulling for current day Jimmy. He's ageing like the finest vino.

Groundking

International Debutant
This is genuinely interesting because without knowing the specific stats, I would have said 2010-2013 hands down.

It wasn't very long ago at all that I was very confident in saying that Broad had overtaken him, and I feel his performances haven't been that amazing since then that his last period would be ranked above his 2010-2013 period, where IMO he was the clear standout bowler in the world not named Dale Steyn (which says very little, given that Steyn at that time was bowling himself into a potential ATG XI spot)
Jimmy Anderson 2010-2013; 192 wickets @ 27.34 SR 58.00
Jimmy Anderson 2014-2017; 166 wickets @ 20.78 SR 48.9

The notable thing about current Jimmy is that when he's good he's better than 2010-13 Jimmy (England average 18.96 vs 24.52 UAE 15.61 vs 27.66), but when he's worse he's quite a bit worse, though this could be explained by the fact for the bad seires he was coming back from injury. I'd say if he has a good Ashes series coming up (think wickets at sub 25) then current Jimmy is better due to how significantly better his overall figures are (and will be) despite facing better batting lineups (even if lots of players he faced were coming to their end during the 10-13 period).