• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JH Kallis v SM Pollock

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ive heard it mentioned, that SM Pollock is the finest all rounder of the current era.. He is a fine cricketer, a gem.. but I rate Kallis a lot more than Pollie as an allrounder..

Just like to hear some opinions on the matter :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As a Bowler Pollock is way better than Kallis and is among the best in the world. As a batsman he has done well whenever he has got an opportunity. Kallis isn't impressive as a bowler lately.

So my vote goes to Pollock.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Armadillo said:
pollock known to be a fine bowler but its the same with kallis' batting, tough one to call, try the experts
Well Pollock doesn't get enough opportunities as a batsmen, Whereas Kallis does get to bowl regularly.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollock is a league ahead of Kallis as a bowler but Kallis is a league ahead of Pollock as a batsman. Thus I rate them equally and I rate South Africa as the most well-rounded team in cricket due to that fact that they possess two of the greatest allrounders in the game IMO.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pollock is a league ahead of Kallis as a bowler but Kallis is a league ahead of Pollock as a batsman. Thus I rate them equally and I rate South Africa as the most well-rounded team in cricket due to that fact that they possess two of the greatest allrounders in the game IMO.
Good post :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock is a much better bowler and Kallis is a much better batsman right now. IMO, Kallis has had a much better opportunity to develop as a bowler compared to Pollock as a batsman, so we really can't make a sound judgement at this point. What can be said is that both are way ahead of anyone else and SA should consider themselves lucky to have the services of both in the same era.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Agree with most of the posts here, Kallis way ahead of Pollock's batting, Pollock way ahead of Kallis's bowling.

But I would prefer to have Kallis the bowler in my side then Pollock the batter.

I vote Kallis:)

Eclipse

International Debutant
I am yet to be convinced about Kallis batting against quality bowling he typicaly murders the weeker bowling teams.

So I would say Pollock.

Craig

World Traveller
Beside Australia Eclipse, how many quality bowling line-ups are there? Obviously he doesnt play against South Africa.

I can say that using your logic to apply to many cricketers.

iamdavid

International Debutant
IMO Kallis's bowling is on par with Pollock's batting in the slightly below test class category.
They are capable of doing a job in that disipline but dont have the consistency to earn a test place on that skill alone.

I also rate Kallis's batting dead even with Pollock's bowling in the world class category.
They would both be superb players on that disipline alone , the added allround ability is just a bonus.

They are also pretty well equal in the feild.

I honestly cant seperate them , they are both wonderful players & the two best allrounders in the world.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
iamdavid said:
I also rate Kallis's bowling dead even with Pollock's bowling in the world class category.
They would both be superb players on that disipline alone , the added allround ability is just a bonus.
Kallis' batting, you mean?

thierry henry

International Coach
Pollock is a better bowler than Kallis is batsman. Pollock's average of 21 for 300+ wickets means he is quite possibly the best bowler of this era (yes, I know a lot of you won't like this). Kallis on the other hand is a world class batsman, but he is clearly behind Tendulkar, Lara, and quite possibly Hayden, Dravid, and Ponting. However, I think Kallis' bowling, with an average around 30, is slightly better than Pollock's batting, with an average around 34. Kallis' batting average is 20 runs higher than Pollock's, and Pollock's bowling average is 10 runs lower, so I give it narrowly to Kallis (and yes, I realise that working out the differences in averages is a flawed method of determining this).

Also, what about Lance Klusener? I dunno about his test figures, but is he the best ODI all-rounder ever?? He must have taken a host of wickets, and his batting record is phenomenal-averaging 42 and striking at a run a ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

thierry henry said:
Pollock is a better bowler than Kallis is batsman. Pollock's average of 21 for 300+ wickets means he is quite possibly the best bowler of this era (yes, I know a lot of you won't like this).
Curtly Ambrose and Glen McGrath have 400+ wickets at around 21. Both have better SRs too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

thierry henry said:
Also, what about Lance Klusener? I dunno about his test figures, but is he the best ODI all-rounder ever?? He must have taken a host of wickets, and his batting record is phenomenal-averaging 42 and striking at a run a ball.
That's a bit over the top. Klusener has 189 wickets and 3433 runs in ODI cricket. I don't see how that can place him ahead of the likes of Kapil Dev 253 and 3783, Imran Khan 182(lower avge than Zulu and lower econ.) and 3709.

The of course there's Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards...

thierry henry

International Coach
Agree on Ambrose. I would put him in a slightly different era to Pollock. Ambrose is 90s, Pollock is mid 90s-mid 00s.

As for McGrath, I think he averages 22+? A small but nevertheless important difference.