• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder Seriously Injured during attack at Christchurch bar

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Bloody horrible news. Hopefully the uncivilized dimwit ****s get a long term in jail and a hefty fine.

Heart goes out to Jesse and family.

Just read he's started talking and is off the ventilator. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
2.The Current Sentencing Structure

Not sure of the diff between assault and aggravated assault.

I am really struggling to actually comprehend how some people could be so bad as to do this.
In the simplest possible terms, aggravated assault is serious assault. Essentially it's just an umbrella term which encompasses a number of types of assaults which are more serious than common assault.

In NSW law for example, assaults such as reckless wounding and assault occasioning actual bodily harm are aggravated assault crimes.

Circumstances of the actions make them aggravated, such as intents etc.
I believe aggravated assault is defined slightly differently in the Crimes Act, from what I remember. In NZ aggravated assault is assault when you are committing a crime or escaping from the scene of one. s188 as stated below is probably what the charge will be I think though it depends on their intent, could possibly be common assault

looking at the crimes act, will probably be charged under section 188:

188. Wounding with intent
  1. Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years who, with intent to cause grievous bodily harm to any one, wounds, maims, disfigures, or causes grievous bodily harm to any person.
  2. Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 7 years who, with intent to injure anyone, or with reckless disregard for the safety of others, wounds, maims, disfigures, or causes grievous bodily harm to any person.

Crimes Act 1961

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Horrifying attack but good to hear he is doing better. Hope the lowlifes get the book thrown at them.

AaronK

State Regular
great to see the big man doing better.. I have been checking cricinfo religiously trying to get update on his condition.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
seriously ****ed up when you open cricinfo for updates on a players' injuries than on a match.. :( But this situation has forced us all to do just that.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You guys hear what Scribe said? What a ****ing tosser. Just desperate to stop his irreversible slump into complete anonymity, I guess.

Jezroy

State Captain
You guys hear what Scribe said? What a ****ing tosser. Just desperate to stop his irreversible slump into complete anonymity, I guess.
Must be tough when you drink and gamble all your money away, and everyone thinks you're a loser. Then another guy drinks, and gambles a bit, and everyone still thinks he's a ****ing legend.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sold a music award on Trademe to buy drugs, didn't he? Shows you the overall value of his comments.