• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Pattinson Retires From International Cricket

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of my favourite bowlers. He's everything a bowler should be - fast, handsome, full-chested and a good orator. Everyone thought he had an almost perfect bowling action, apart from his back. Just loved watching him bowl while I massaged the man crush I had on him. There's no way he could have played for England like his brother Darren. He had too much ability and was simply too fit, too healthy, and had too much of the Aussie barrel-chest and suave, Hollywood via Warrandyte good looks.

What a guy.

If Pat Cummins hadn't come along, I'd probably be fairly upset right now.

Aritro

International Regular
What a shame. Brilliant bowler, could have had **** knows how many hundred test wickets by now.

He's just going to focus on first class cricket or what?

Aritro

International Regular

On the day it was announced the two sides would play in back-to-back Sheffield Shield fixtures starting next week in Sydney, Pattinson made the decision to retire from international cricket after an injury ruled him out of the opening Shield fixture. He will, however, continue to play domestic cricket in Australia and hinted at a return to the county game.

"Leading into pre-season I really wanted to give the Ashes a crack but in the end I haven't had the preparation I would have liked heading into the coming season," Pattinson said. "If I was to be part of the Ashes I would need to do myself and my team-mates justice. I didn't want to be in a position of battling with my body when you need to be 100 per cent fit and ready to go at any time. That would not be fair to myself or the team.

"It was then I felt that instead of trying to play at the very highest level, knowing I have only got three or four years of cricket left, I would focus more on Victoria, helping the young guys develop, perhaps some cricket in England and spending more time with my family."

Victor Ian

International Coach
Love the guy. A real what could have been. Without injury he could have been everything. A real shame Australia did not get to field him and Cummins for a decade of dominance.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was a period a few years back where he went on a domestic rampage in both the shield and county cricket. Averaging around 15 with the ball across a period of a year or so and looked a genuine prospect with the bat too. It was terrible for him when he broke down. Watched him live during that period and he hit the deck frighteningly hard. It was the first time I'd seen a bowler bowl and legitimately been terrified for the batsmen, and I saw Johnson bowl several times live.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
These retirements are strange.

Why not just keep cracking away in the Shield (he's gonna anyway) and see what happens?

Maybe looking to focus on some 20/20 cash which is probably fair enough if he wants to.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Why not just keep cracking away in the Shield (he's gonna anyway) and see what happens?

Maybe looking to focus on some 20/20 cash which is probably fair enough if he wants to.
Doesn't even seem like a real retirement?

"I'm retiring but if I go ok then I'll be available"

like wtf? That's not retiring. That's just doing what anyone always does

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Loved Patto, real shame he won't play for Australia again. Managed the almost impossible task of being Australian, a hot head and still seeming like a good bloke.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Maybe he's had enough and is at the stage where he wants to ease the stress on himself of feeling like constantly auditioning for the national side and just wants to enjoy his cricket.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Maybe he's had enough and is at the stage where he wants to ease the stress on himself of feeling like constantly auditioning for the national side and just wants to enjoy his cricket.
Yeh that’s fair

Flem274*

123/5
Probably a smart decision for his health. If you can bowl 150kph your body either learns to handle it in your mid 20s or it doesn't. Pattinson's didn't, which is a shame, but that's the risk of pace.