• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy wasn’t posting here while Ben Hollioake was alive though right? Or have I misunderstood?
No, I've been out in the sun all day. :tooth: And misremembered quite how long ago he died. There was a thread on England's worst ever selection (started by Richard I think) and Goughy chose Ben Hollioake. Fred suggested in one of his articles that Ben might have eventually become captain, and Goughy was equally scathing about that, and irrationally so.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My opinion on Jimmy has changed dramatically last few years. Nearly jumped up into ATG territory for me tbh. His early career holds his stats back but he could easily have 400 wickets at a much lower average if he started later. Also gotten a lot better at bowling outside his favoured conditions.

Himannv

International Coach
I think he looks a good bowler and will end up with over 100 wickets in Tests. He’d be an underwear model if he was Australian though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
anyway this is the anderson thread can we have some good anderson spells and not this please
Here's one

For a video made in 2018 it's probably not true that a spell from 2007 is 'his best'. Anderson's a better bowler after he stops getting this kind of OTT banana swing, but it does make for a better highlight reel.

The second wicket especially is mental. I wonder if it's come up in recent coaching discussions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This is hardly an original thought, but his longevity is what strikes me this morning. The recent NZ tests are 19 years after he first played test cricket. Purely from an English pov, he has now overtaken Gooch (about 6 months short of 19 years) and had already overtaken Boycott (about 6 months short of 18 years), Emburey (17 years) and Hutton (iirc, 18 years). Illingworth may be somewhere in that company too. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Jimmy won't overtake Wilf Rhodes' 31 years between first and last caps, but he's overtaken some serious long players recently.

And I have no idea which other English players apart from Rhodes have a longer period between the first and latest caps than Jimmy. Or players from any country. Bradman finished three months short of 20 years, so Jimmy will overtake him if he plays next summer. Imran Khan was slightly longer at almost 21 years. Murali managed 18 years and Border was a bit less than that. Others can suggest who I've forgotten.

Shady Slim

International Coach
This is hardly an original thought, but his longevity is what strikes me this morning. The recent NZ tests are 19 years after he first played test cricket. Purely from an English pov, he has now overtaken Gooch (about 6 months short of 19 years) and had already overtaken Boycott (about 6 months short of 18 years), Emburey (17 years) and Hutton (iirc, 18 years). Illingworth may be somewhere in that company too. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Jimmy won't overtake Wilf Rhodes' 31 years between first and last caps, but he's overtaken some serious long players recently.

And I have no idea which other English players apart from Rhodes have a longer period between the first and latest caps than Jimmy. Or players from any country. Bradman finished three months short of 20 years, so Jimmy will overtake his if he plays next summer. Murali managed 18 years and Border was a bit less than that. Others can suggest who I've forgotten.
at nineteen and one month he's just a month short of tying rangana

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Compton, Close, Titmus, Hendren, Woolley, Cowdrey were all around forever
That's also great and also incredibly quick. Jimmy could conceivably overtake Compton, Titmus and Cowdrey. But not Woolley or Close, you'd think. Hendren's stay was slightly shorter.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of span Brian Close is the one that instantly springs to mind having debuted at 18 and finished at 45. I hesitate to call it longevity as his selections were on and off and in the main fairly inexplicable based on level of achievement.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of span Brian Close is the one that instantly springs to mind having debuted at 18 and finished at 45. I hesitate to call it longevity as his selections were on and off and in the main fairly inexplicable based on level of achievement.
Yup. The mid-70s selection policy seemed to include bringing back guys in their 40s to face the quickest bowlers on the planet. See also Cowdrey and Titmus of course.