• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread shows why Cricket chat was so crap around then, a resonable thread about James Anderson quickly descends into a debate about Richard's worst theory, (I stand by that amongst all the fingerspinners don't get wickets with Bounce, FCA averave etc.) about how taking wickets in Limited Overs means little compared to run-rate, with the accompanying nonsense about how great Mark Ealhan was. Then an aside about hating Onions, richard based on he didn't have a good first-class record before he was picked for England, Goughy, who lets face it despite being oddly admired here, was the most consistently wrong poster ever, because he seemed to note rate most bowlers out of bitterness that he didn't make it, iMHO.

No wonder with those 2 around I didn't partake in the thread, unfortunately I have absolutely no idea How I felt about Branderson at the time, pretty sure I wouldn't have predicted them to have taken about 1.2k wickets.

There would have been times I may have rated Onions higher too, mind you that's partly that I was there when he looked incredibly impressive taking 4-58 against Aus in Brum. Mind you Jimmeh took 5 that day too, don't remember him as well, because Onions made the early spectacular breakthrough.

I missed Cook getting out for 0 because I was in the bar, so it didn't happen IMHO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have to say I never knew grecian disliking Goughy was a thing.

I agree on that being Richard's worst theory though. He was more dogmatic on that than anything else in spite of all available evidence.

grecian

Have to say I never knew grecian disliking Goughy was a thing.

I agree on that being Richard's worst theory though. He was more dogmatic on that than anything else in spite of all available evidence.
I just had him on ignore, and didn't really talk to him. he was obviouslty hugely respected by others, but I felt he had some ridiculous theories, that in some ways was as bad as Richard's. I think the one where he tries to prove Panesar was worse than giles, because he averaged a bit more with runs with the bat was up there, I did mention that under his workings Damien Fleming was better than McGrath, and Dharmasena was better than Murali, but then he pivotted by saying Panesar wasn't exactly mUrali, which he wasn't. In the end you can't argue with people like that IMHO. So I gave up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just had him on ignore, and didn't really talk to him. he was obviouslty hugely respected by others, but I felt he had some ridiculous theories, that in some ways was as bad as Richard's. I think the one where he tries to prove Panesar was worse than giles, because he averaged a bit more with runs with the bat was up there, I did mention that under his workings Damien Fleming was better than McGrath, and Dharmasena was better than Murali, but then he pivotted by saying Panesar wasn't exactly mUrali, which he wasn't. In the end you can't argue with people like that IMHO. So I gave up.
You weren't the only one but, as you say, there was no disagreeing with the guy so I rarely bothered. He was knowledgeable in some ways, but that meant that the only response he could handle was 'dead right mate'. Which he wasn't always. Anyway, I hope he's doing OK, wherever he is nowadays.

Last edited:

grecian

You weren't the only one but, as you say, there was no disagreeing with the guy so I rarely bothered. He was knowledgeable in some ways, but that meant that the only response he could handle was 'dead right mate'. Which is wasn't always. Anyway, I hope he's doing OK, wherever he is nowadays.
Yeah, look I didn't hate the guy, and if what he said was right, he was a guy who got paid for cricketing things for decades, something I haven't managed for a day, so was clearly more knowledgable than me on a lot of things, but in the end there are plenty of pundits in the media World that also have that and many I think talk ****e. He was one of them for me.

But like Richard and other Erstwhile posters I hope they are living a good life.

grecian

I think sometimes when we disparage people with interesting theories, it becomes a bit like. you're so close-minded what a conventional ****, but the weird thing is I love an original new theory, and I even think I quite liked Richard when I first posted, but when people start coming up with interesting new theories just to big up a cricketer they love, do down one they hate, it becomes utterly pointless.

Anywhoo that James Anderson might turn out all right in the end.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I got on well with Richard for most of the time, even when he was ruining threads non-stop, but his last year or so here he jumped the shark even by his own standards sadly.
It’s good to have alternative views but when you think your views know better than the game itself, you’re ****ed

grecian

I got on well with Richard for most of the time, even when he was ruining threads non-stop, but his last year or so here he jumped the shark even by his own standards sadly.
It’s good to have alternative views but when you think your views know better than the game itself, you’re ****ed
As I say two points I gave up, one was when he stated that when we stopped replying to him he'd won the argument, which explained a lot and he kept files of those that had lost the argument.

Yet this https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...vs-new-zealand-2nd-test-296901/full-scorecard was where I officially gave up on any belief that it FCA average wasn't about padding his fave players, and denigrating the ones he disliked.

FTR he gave out collingwood (who he disliked) on his FCa record even though the actual video replay showed it was missing stumps because he "felt" it was out, yet when Bell (who he liked) was dismissed by a no-ball (something Richard felt should be out ridiculously since Tresco who he disliked had been out a few times to it) about 5 runs later it didn't matter because the match had already been won.

Yeah to summarise it was all a load of old bollocks.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Funnily enough I was talking to PEWS the other day about Richard and the two things I said bugged me most were not acknowledging the importance of wickets in ODIs, and counting no-balls as out in FCA. Glad I wasn’t the only one :laugh:

FTR he also felt run outs shouldn’t count as out

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He didn’t hate him but no I wouldn’t say he was a fan.

honestly though I’d say Scaly’s views were funnier.
@dontcloseyoureyes on the other hand has always loved our Jimmy

grecian

He didn’t hate him but no I wouldn’t say he was a fan.

honestly though I’d say Scaly’s views were funnier.
@dontcloseyoureyes on the other hand has always loved our Jimmy
Umm i was more talking about calling him "Jimmeh", honestly couldn't give a **** on his views of a cricket player. Scaly was kinda my guilty pleasure around her, I knew he was a dick, but found him funny at times, sometimes intentional, but mostly unintentional. He loved Onions, Harmison, and probably any bloke with a Durham-ish accent better than Anderson obviously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, erm honestly I don’t think the Jimmeh thing took off while he was posting here but I could be wrong

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy had a major downer on Ben Hollioake. Absolutely slated him whenever he came up - before and after his death. He reckoned he was a poor club standard cricketer and no potential to improve. I know nothing of Goughy's cricket background so ................. anyway, strayed off the point there. Jimmy Anderson sounds a bit like my school friends auntie Minnie Sanderson.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I got on well with Richard too and just ignored his sillier arguments. I've read occasional comments about how he's subsequently lost the plot, but I don't really know what he's said or done and I don't actually want to.

Absent friends, as they say.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Goughy had a major downer on Ben Hollioake. Absolutely slated him whenever he came up - before and after his death. He reckoned he was a poor club standard cricketer and no potential to improve. I know nothing of Goughy's cricket background so ................. anyway, strayed off the point there. Jimmy Anderson sounds a bit like my school friends auntie Minnie Sanderson.
Goughy wasn’t posting here while Ben Hollioake was alive though right? Or have I misunderstood?