• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Vernon Philander

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

ashley bach

International Captain
Think you're right leaving out Danny Morrison though, lets not get mixed up with great commentators versus players.

cnerd123

likes this
How typical for NZ fans to hijack the thread to talk about their own substandard players again. Should be an infractable offense at this point.

Both these men walk into the NZ ATG XI anyways

subshakerz

International Coach
Anderson playing in England is not the same as Philander playing in SA. England in the early 2010s occasionally had some really flat tracks. SA was far more sporting.

Yeah, Anderson didn't do as well in SA which is a mark against him but I have little doubt if his home conditions were SA he would have an average of 21/22 there over a longer stretch.

The point is Anderson has played key roles in series victories in India and Australia. He has won matches in SL and his series in the UAE are textbook examples of how seamers should adapt to those conditions.

Philander is little more than a journeyman outside of seaming wickets. A pretty average shouldn't mask his limitations.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
I'd pick Philander and Ambrose to open the bowling on a bouncy green deck like Joburg or Hobart. On reflection I'm not sure if Philander is elite in those particular conditions or if he just stands out more because he was ****e in most other circumstances.
Aka the Navjot Singh Siddhu “better player of spin than Sachin” conundrum

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson playing in England is not the same as Philander playing in SA. England in the early 2010s occasionally had some really flat tracks. SA was far more sporting.

Yeah, Anderson didn't do as well in SA which is a mark against him but I have little doubt if his home conditions were SA he would have an average of 21/22 there over a longer stretch.

The point is Anderson has played key roles in series victories in India and Australia. He has won matches in SL and his series in the UAE are textbook examples of how seamers should adapt to those conditions.

Anderson is little more than a journeyman outside of seaming wickets. A pretty average shouldn't mask his limitations.
Agreed