• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

James Anderson vs Vernon Philander

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Philander on his best day was way better Anderson can't say the same about Harris.
You got that backwards. I don't think there's any set of circumstances I would rather have Philander over Anderson tbh, and Anderson at his best blows anything Philander can do out of the water

trundler

I'd pick Philander and Ambrose to open the bowling on a bouncy green deck like Joburg or Hobart. On reflection I'm not sure if Philander is elite in those particular conditions or if he just stands out more because he was ****e in most other circumstances.

trundler

I don't want to bat for Anderson here (ew) but that's way off base. Philander averages 38 in Asia and that flatters him immensely because he was often hidden in the attack. He was completely horribly innocuous just about every time I saw him in Asia and I saw him bowl every ball in at least one series in SL and India.

Anderson at least has standout performances like the 6fa in SL last year and can be relied upon to keep things tight. Philander was baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

ataraxia

International Coach
I don't want to bat for Anderson here (ew) but that's way off base. Philander averages 38 in Asia and that flatters him immensely because he was often hidden in the attack. He was completely horribly innocuous just about every time I saw him in Asia and I saw him bowl every ball in at least one series in SL and India.

Anderson at least has standout performances like the 6fa in SL last year and can be relied upon to keep things tight. Philander was baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
so Jadeja > Philander > Lillee yes agreed

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Southee is heaps better in Asia than both of them anyway.

trundler

I wouldn't tbh
He'd have to be close to the best bowler for those conditions though. Maybe you'd just default to yer ATGs there too but he was absolutely lethal at home. A bowling version of Warner whereas Anderson is Hayden.

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

TheJediBrah

He'd have to be close to the best bowler for those conditions though. Maybe you'd just default to yer ATGs there too but he was absolutely lethal at home. A bowling version of whereas Anderson is Hayden.
It's not crazy but in an ATG scenario there's no way I'm going with him over any of Ambrose, McGrath, Hadlee or probably half a dozen others