• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This India's Greatest Test Series Victory Overseas?

Slifer

International Captain
If we had achieved a series victory in WI series in 1997, it would have been our greatest test series victory overseas ever, at least until this point. That team had awesome reputation, even though they were declining from 1995 or so. Such a shame that it was this close and yet, so far.

Franklyn Ross !!!!!
And India would've had to overcome just as good an attack: Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Rose. And an equally fragile batting lineup: Lara, Chanderpaul, and a bunch of nobodies.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And India would've had to overcome just as good an attack: Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop and Rose. And an equally fragile batting lineup: Lara, Chanderpaul, and a bunch of nobodies.
Very close to Australia's current situation itbt.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Ugh that was woeful. Sachin and Dravid had batted brilliantly in the first innings to get india into that position. But probably should have known that any pitch where Kuruvilla can take 5fer isnt going to be easy in the 4th innings.
Kuruvilla wasn't no Mcgrath, but certainly was not the worst to play for India.

He was badly used, Sachin had habit of bowling him excessively. He got better and better in the short while he played, and had his last series vs SL at home was his best. He took a four for at Mohali vs a star studded SL lineup, and then never played for India again.

Eons better than Prasad

sunilz

International Regular
We were also denied a victory due to rain in SA in 1996/97.
Rain + Klusener.
Dravid's only century in SA came in that match.

sunilz

International Regular
Clichés like "new India" are starting to bug me. It's not insightful commentary at all. They have been saying this since that NatWest trophy win back in 2002.
Also when India drew series in AUS in 2003/04 and then won in Pak in 2004 in both Test and ODI, I really felt now our team would move on to next level only to be massacred in Asia Cup in 2004 by SL.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Clichés like "new India" are starting to bug me. It's not insightful commentary at all. They have been saying this since that NatWest trophy win back in 2002.
I am trying to remember some advertisement before the 2003 WC which says the ambition of the young Indian team then as "move up in life".

Isn't this the ambition of any person ever not just cricketers, lol.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I am trying to remember some advertisement before the 2003 WC which says the ambition of the young Indian team then as "move up in life".

Isn't this the ambition of any person ever not just cricketers, lol.
Haha, not for me.

h_hurricane

A couple of other instances of "New India" comment ages back.

1. Laxman Sivaramakrishnan diving to save a run in 1985 World Championship of cricket.
2. Venkatapathy Raju chasing to boundary to save a run in Sydney test 1992 after India had been beaten in Melbourne and Brisbane.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Which other improbable 4th innings chases are comparable to this one (remember they needed 50 off 8 overs at one point)?

There is of course the 1983 Sabina Park Ind-WI match where WI needed 172 in 26 remaining overs when Viv Richards smashed 61 off 36. They didn't need to survive 100 overs so probably loss was less risk of a loss but at the same time required run rate was higher than at Gabba.

Any other instances?

h_hurricane

Which other improbable 4th innings chases are comparable to this one (remember they needed 50 off 8 overs at one point)?

There is of course the 1983 Sabina Park Ind-WI match where WI needed 172 in 26 remaining overs when Viv Richards smashed 61 off 36. They didn't need to survive 100 overs so probably loss was less risk of a loss but at the same time required run rate was higher than at Gabba.

Any other instances?
Daily reminder that Viv was better than his stats.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Any other instances?
Adelaide 2006 day 5. Though game was probably up by the came they came out to bat but the whole day 5 was a miracle.

OverratedSanity

Any other instances?
Pakistan chased 302 in two sessions (57.3 overs) vs SL with 9 balls remaining.

vcs

How many overs they had to get their 168 runs?

Scorecard
Around 40 I'd say. England played 54 so take away a couple for change of innings.

Also, @ankitj , this..

They had 76 overs to get this. I actually looked at this scorecard for inspiration after day 4 on Brisbane. :)

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Around 40 I'd say. England played 54 so take away a couple for change of innings.

Also, @ankitj , this..

They had 76 overs to get this. I actually looked at this scorecard for inspiration after day 4 on Brisbane. :)
Same here!!

Actually in the Gabba test, at one point India needed 49 runs from 32 balls (RRR 9.2)

Then, Sundar hit that six of Cummins. The last 50 runs came in just 26 balls.