• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the current Australian batting order stronger than that of the lost generation?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Would you pick the current Australian batting line-up over your choice line-up following the below qualifiers:

1) Should have debuted between 1985 and 2005 in Australian F.C. cricket
2) Played less than 20 tests. (need not have played tests at all)
3) Retired before 2015 from F.C. cricket

I understand that the above qualifiers are very broad but I just didn’t want to exclude some outliers with long careers.

Additionally what batting order would you pick anyway from that period?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does this question even need answering.

There's a reason Chris Rogers retiring was particularly depressing when it happened.

stephen

Hmm let's see.

Di Venuto
Martin Love
Stuart Law
Siddons
Elliot
Cox
Hodge
Bevan

They certainly would have made a better test lineup than the Smith and Warner free lineup of last year. But Smith/Warner tips the balance back to this mob.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in the glory days NSW, Queensland & Western Australia all would have fielded outstanding teams at international level.

Gob

International Coach
Would you pick the current Australian batting line-up over your choice line-up following the below qualifiers:

1) Should have debuted between 1985 and 2005 in Australian F.C. cricket
2) Played less than 20 tests. (need not have played tests at all)
3) Retired before 2015 from F.C. cricket

I understand that the above qualifiers are very broad but I just didn’t want to exclude some outliers with long careers.

Additionally what batting order would you pick anyway from that period?
No cos you know Steve

aussie tragic

International Captain
Poor old Lehman misses out again because he played 27 tests...Australia lost 4-5 years of his batting before he was finally picked way too late.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
In my opinion Mike Hussey should have gotten a look in much sooner than he did. Stuart Law's solitary Test still boggles the mind.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Jamie Cox
Michael Di Venuto
Martin Love
Jamie Siddons
Michael Bevan
Stuart Law
Tom Moody

Is my top 7 with Hodge the first reserve. 20 Tests was a good number as it ruled out Lehmann, Elliott, Rogers and North.

I wasnt the biggest Di Venuto fan, but he deserves the spot over Hills and Maher and Ill throw in Nobes too.

stephen

Martin Love and Brad Hodge are probably the two most likely to have played 100 tests in another era. Bevan too. If he had Steve Waugh's run in the side he'd have had a massive career IMO.

stephen

Even if Bevan played as well as he did in his test career I think he'd be a better pick than half the side right now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cox-Burns = nasty sounding, but quite close. Both had flaws, Cox was a nicker. EVEN

Di Venuto-Warner = Daveys best is superior WARNER

Love-Labuschagne = QLD, classy bats. Love's ability to get to 100 puts him ahead LOVE

Siddons-Smith = Smith almost seems unfair, like the no Bradman rule SMITH

Bevan-Head = Hard one. Bevans excellent Shield record makes him seem the better option but everyone knows about his technical issue. Does Head also have a problem? BEVAN just

Law-Wade = Laws captaincy, one day performancers and runs in England do slightly overrate his batting ability IMO. Wade has been consistent lately for Tassie but Law was clearly better. LAW

Moody-Paine = Long Tom was a great domestic servant but I think they are similar in terms of making runs at Test level. EVEN

Result = Smith counts for 2 so ive got it as 3-3.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If you want to go keeper v keeper yes, but id be happy with Berry at 8 and have 3 bowlers (Bichel, Angel and 1 more) plus Moody and Bevan.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Without looking fully into the criteria set above, I think these guys missed out on having a proper test career they deserved, and all of them would have played 50-100 tests for all other nations at the time:

Matthew Elliott
Jamie Cox
Martin Love
Brad Hodge
Stuart Law
Jamie Siddons

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Elliott had an awesome shot at a long test career, it’s just he made Khawaja look resilient and up for a challenge

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes but only because of Smith. I reckon I might be able to pick two entirely separate lost generation batting lineups better than the one selected last summer to play India.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes but only because of Smith. I reckon I might be able to pick two entirely separate lost generation batting lineups better than the one selected last summer to play India.
Sounds like you are trying to find a spot for Corey Richards.

DHussey, Cowan, Klinger, White miss out due to the 2015 rule.

My second XI

Dene Hills
Paul Nobes
Jimmy Maher
Brad Hodge
Shaun Young
Dom Thornley

I made a last minute decision to drop Richards for Nobes. I feel like Super Dom will be a welcome inclusion.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah thats not a bad shout. I definitely think Adelaide Oval runs were easier than runs at Hobart. If we dont factor in bowling, I definitely can see Brayshaw being a better option.

Did I miss anyone else?