• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is T20 cricket getting too hot to handle?

Is T20 cricket getting too hot to handle?

• Total voters

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
with regards to Goughy, i do remember people saying T20 wouldn't work in India because the money wouldn't be there because there are less ad breaks in a T20 than a ODI, haven't the time to search the posts out now because i'm off to work but ill have a look later.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul pulling out of the first two tests v Australia if their IPL teams make the finals, it seems that something needs to be done by having a window for the tournament, else players from countries who don't pay very well will, understandably, go for the big bucks and leave their countries without quality players for international matches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
with regards to Goughy, i do remember people saying T20 wouldn't work in India because the money wouldn't be there because there are less ad breaks in a T20 than a ODI, haven't the time to search the posts out now because i'm off to work but ill have a look later.
Heard hundreds of people saying that, but I guess the companies concerned will only find-out when they try comparing the two. Which I suppose will only happen once the IPL has gone on for a few seasons.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
With Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul pulling out of the first two tests v Australia if their IPL teams make the finals, it seems that something needs to be done by having a window for the tournament, else players from countries who don't pay very well will, understandably, go for the big bucks and leave their countries without quality players for international matches.
I don't understand why their boards would allow that though. WICB said they won't block their players, but their reasoning is weird.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
I don't dare say it has TBH.

BTW, not sure if Stephen thinks his getting into long-form cricket was exclusively down to Twenty20? Be interesting to hear clarification on that.
No, was draw into cricket by Ireland's World Cup campagne. Then came T20 which I though was da best coz ez loik smash 4 6. However throughout a summer of doing **** all, started watching England's summer tests, thus realised how test cricket was the greater superior form of the game. That's not to say I despise 20/20, it is a bit of fun, but I doubt many side's take it serious

Burgey

I don't understand why their boards would allow that though. WICB said they won't block their players, but their reasoning is weird.
Yeah, it seems a bit strange, but I can't blame players going for the cash if they're not well paid compared with those from other countries, and have their futures to think about.
I gather (but not sure) that it seems that if they refused permission, the players would go anyway, after they announced their retirements. Can't say that's the case for sure though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I gather (but not sure) that it seems that if they refused permission, the players would go anyway, after they announced their retirements. Can't say that's the case for sure though.
That wouldn't work either, since they cannot join for two years after their retirement if they don't have permission from the home board.

Burgey

True. Perhaps the financial state of WI cricket is such that they're better off allowing the players to go and play than risk some sort of revolt if they don't let them. Mind you, I hadn't heard that there was talk of such a revolt if they weren't allowed to go.

Redbacks

International Captain
the WI should give up now if the board will allow players to skip a test over financial disputes.

This is a key issue of the IPL, all the infrastucture and development of the countries will be thrown in their faces if players will go for the money instead of representing their country.

I'm sure people in Australia will be asking the question of why the Government should be using public funding for youth player development if not for the purpose of developing a pathway for a competative national team+state level. If it becomes a business then the $$ from the IPL should be paying for player development. If there was no WI national team, would anybody know who Gayle is?

If this franchise system works, maybe the number of ODI's should be reduced. We should still have 10+ tests a year except maybe in WC years.

ret

International Debutant
I guess, the WICB members are churning out conspiracy theories or may be trying to promote some hidden agenda as

1. No where have the 3 WI players said that they would skip the tests against the OZ
2. WICB official is assuming that the 3 players will probably prefer IPL over WI, if the franchises, the players represent, go on to the next stages
3. The IPL franchises have not made any such requests to the 3 WI players

unless WICB knows something that we don't, I think it's an unfair call by the WICB officials to make such bogus statements and create issues where non exist

Burgey

Mate, I feel like you're holding back here. Tell us what you're really thinking :).

shortpitched713

International Captain
Mate, I feel like you're holding back here. Tell us what you're really thinking :).
Oh I'm sorry. What I really meant to say was that 20-20 is the form of cricket that will become the savior of international athletic competition.

Actually, no. :puke: