• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

Is spin bowling a dying art in modern day cricket?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PhoenixFire

International Coach
To get away from Aussie spinners...

Has anyone actually seen Adil Rasheed bowl? If so, what did they think of him?
I saw him bowl live last year, and he actually looks the real deal. Perfectly capable to bat 7 or higher, quality attacking spinner and an excellent fielder to boot.

pup11

International Coach
I think Chawla has been pushed into international cricket a bit too early, he is only 19 and he has already played a test match and i have feeling he might soon become a regular in the ODI side.

But if a young spinner like him gets hammered against better sides, then that does no good to his confidence.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Chawla has been pushed into international cricket a bit too early, he is only 19 and he has already played a test match and i have feeling he might soon become a regular in the ODI side.

But if a young spinner like him gets hammered against better sides, then that does no good to his confidence.
Vettori started at 18.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So Adil Rashid should be playing for England then, because he is also 19.
No beacause his not the best option. Also Power is likely to be the main spinner for a while. When they play two spinners, he will probably get a run. His basically been introduced slowly into International cricket.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Also, Rashid has played much less FC and OD cricket compared to Chawla. No comparison really.

pup11

International Coach
Its the back-door entry in Indian cricket which is the biggest grey area of Indian selection process, i mean whats the criteria for selection in the Indian team performance or potential.

Because if performance is the criteria Chawla hasn't done enough over other spinners in the domestic circuit to be selected.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not just India - the situation is even worse in Pakistan, and also applies to some extent in Sri Lanka too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How did he go?
They say he worked hard, which is the basic prerogative of any Academy stint. From what I've heard nothing particularly revelatory has come out of it - no extra Googlies or Flippers or anything - but I'd imagine he's had a few words with the Terry Jenners of this World, and basically simply focused on cricket throughout the winter, something he'd probably not have done had he had a winter at home.

The Academy squad went on an A-tour of Bangladesh, too.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Its the back-door entry in Indian cricket which is the biggest grey area of Indian selection process, i mean whats the criteria for selection in the Indian team performance or potential.

Because if performance is the criteria Chawla hasn't done enough over other spinners in the domestic circuit to be selected.
The thing is most of these guys who get 'back door entry' get a handful for games and if they don't perform they get put back into domestic cricket. Apart from Patel, most have only got a few games, but Patel got quite a few games as there was no replacements ready until Karthik and Dhoni excelled at domestic level, or in Karthik's case was performing at a decent level.

Most of the times you get players like Chamara Silva, who got called up after a handful of domestic matches, doesn't perform and then gets dropped. Comes back after 4-5 seasons and excels at the international level (hopefully).

No doubt you get some players selectors keep going back to, cus they have no one else to select like Dilhara Fernando and Nuwan Zoysa. But generally they try and do what they did with Chamara Silva, a couple games when his young and a couple seasons of domestic cricket, then back to the national team, when his really ready.

With Chawla i wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few games here and there. But they put him back into domestic cricket if he struggles and bring back Mishra or Murali Kartik.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Due to this back door entry system, Indian team has lost so many good talented players, the players are first brought in raw and without much FC experience and due to this when there is a slump in their form they are dropped and after that their comeback into the team becomes very hard because some other young rookie takes over their slot in the team.

Its this game of musical chairs that BCCI is playing for a long time that needs to stopped.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Due to this back door entry system, Indian team has lost so many good talented players, the players are first brought in raw and without much FC experience and due to this when there is a slump in their form they are dropped and after that their comeback into the team becomes very hard because some other young rookie takes over their slot in the team.

Its this game of musical chairs that BCCI is playing for a long time that needs to stopped.
Maybe but it could be more of case that some of those players didn't have what it takes to convert their talent into performances. Guys like Mongia, Jaffer, Y.Singh all made their debuts at a youngish age and are now coming back into the fold. Singh is probably more to do with injuries, then getting dropped though. Zaheer Khan similar, but that probably has more to do with the lack of seamers to pick from. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaif comes back into the fold once Ganguly and Tendulkar retire or get dropped, most likely retire.