• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is skill required in ODI cricket underrated?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Is having an elite level of split second shot judgment like Bevan did completely unrelated to talent? That is what Jardine thought was most special about Bradman.

Ultimately, I think we have to come to the conclusion that talent is a buzzword, a means to the end of letting the writer travel to the realm of subjectivity. It means what the writer needs it to mean and what the reader wants it to mean.

Bahseph

State Captain
Interesting topic which is very subjective imo. I think that in LO cricket a player can get away with being less well rounded or limited because of the situations they are faced with appearing more often in a LO game than in a Test. Hence more exposure to perform a particular task. I don't think that this necessarily means that they don't possess a significant amount of skill to perform the role that they do though.

You aren't going to have Andre Russell having to bat out 30 overs on the last day with a new ball looming in T20s,but it doesn't mean that his power hitting isn't a bona fide skill. It is in my view.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not really. You can build muscle but not really twitch fibres.
yeah but a lot of slow twitch fibres don't mean you still can't be a competent thrower, just like an endurance runner with a lot of slow twitch fibres can still train themselves to have a decent if not elite sprint.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bevan is a good counter example. Can't be classified as an inventive and truly gifted cricketer (from eyesight, muscle reflexes perspective) but was elite ODI batsman.
:0

aren’t twitch fibres muscle

pretty sure they can be developed and trained man
He's specifically referring to fast v slow twitch, which is almost entirely genetic.

Still shouldn't be treated as though it's the be-all and end-all though. Just say for example* a Shane Watson might have a lower proportion of fast-twitch fibres than an Andre Russell, it doesn't mean that Watson can't become an as effective big hitter in T20s. It might (theoretically) just be slightly harder.

*I'm working with a lot of assumptions here, just treating this as a hypothetical