• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is ODI WC (92,2019 format) more competitive than Football World Cup ?

Is ODI WC (92,19 format) more competitive?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sunil1z

International Regular
This might be a controversial opinion. But I have read that only 8 teams (attached screenshot)have won Football World Cup . Whereas 6 teams have won ODI WC ,NZ have been finalist twice and SA are always competitive in WC till knockouts . So despite having less number of teams , is ODI WC (92,19 format)more competitive than football World Cup ? Or is this a flawed opinion ?I know very less about Football. So request Football fans to be polite in comments.

Attachments

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No chance. Number crunching is irrelevant. You could say that Australia winning 5 out of 12 tournaments means it’s not very competitive at all. :santa:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
It's quite intruiging that USSR/Russia has never been a force in soccer given the popularity of the game there and their general record as a sport powerhouse.

Socerer 01

International Captain
This might be a controversial opinion. But I have read that only 8 teams (attached screenshot)have won Football World Cup . Whereas 6 teams have won ODI WC ,NZ have been finalist twice and SA are always competitive in WC till knockouts . So despite having less number of teams , is ODI WC (92,19 format)more competitive than football World Cup ? Or is this a flawed opinion ?I know very less about Football. So request Football fans to be polite in comments.
doesn't take into account Australia being dominant in world cups in cricket. no team in football has a similar dominance, best is Brazil who also have 5 wins but across a lot more tournaments. there are more teams likely to win the world cup in football too

Sunil1z

International Regular
doesn't take into account Australia being dominant in world cups in cricket. no team in football has a similar dominance, best is Brazil who also have 5 wins but across a lot more tournaments. there are more teams likely to win the world cup in football too
A tournament can have same winner multiple times and still be competitive. For eg. WC 87,99,03 and 15 were highly entertaining even though Aus won all of them .
There are 64 matches in this FIFA World Cup and 48 matches were in 19 ODI WC . In which sports do you think more percentage of match would be closely fought ?